Chord Ohmic Transmission Fluid

Is there anybody on the forum that have had a demo of “Chord Ohmic Transmission Fluid” or even bought it and tested it in their own system?

All experiences is much appreciated!

I like the idea where you start with cleaning the connections and then protect the connections with the transmission fluid. It’s always nice to protect and improve your current gear, right?

It seems logical that the fluid will create a greater contact area, lower the resistance and therefore allow more current to flow i.e a better signal. That would logically mean better performance of the hifi-system I would guess?

I think that I will buy it and try but I’m not looking forward to all work. First clean the connections and after that apply three layers of transmission fluid. Very much work!

Happy Easter!
/Marcus

I prefer the Naim approach of plugging and unplugging a few times every now and then to keep the contacts clean. I’ve never had any luck with contact cleaners, including De-Oxit. What’s more I’m not a fan of Chord cables. That said, I hope this new product works out for you and look forward to reading the results.

Only cleaner I’ll use is Kontak. It leaves no residue. Not a fan of Any type of contact enhancers

Until now I have also used the Naim approach of plugging and unplugging, maybe 2-3 times per year. Every time I have found a raise in performance of my system.

The plugs on my SuperLumina speaker cables have had a black coating of oxide on them and I have been tempted to try to clean them with some kind of contact cleaner since the “plugging and unplugging” haven’t cleaned the plugs enough. Due to the fact that Naim does not recommend the use of contact cleaner (as far as I have understood) I have not done so until now.

This Chord product seem to have another (hopefully better) approach where you start by cleaning the plugs and then add a protective and performance enhancing layer of coating.

Imagine that this procedure gets you where you system is just after a “plugging and unplugging”-event and stays like that without new oxide building up. I would guess that you will even be beyond that performance since the plugs will be cleaned as new and the transmission fluid will improve the “contact area”, reducing resistance and therefor improving performance of the connection/whole system.

Am I being unrealistic and just buying the marketing information? To my mind it make sense that it actually would work and probably be the best “bang for the buck”-upgrade I have ever made… :innocent:

Surely the best connection is a solid piece of metal. Failing that a metal-metal contact with no oxide layer or dust/dirt between the two pieces of metal.

Adding a liquid coating could stop the oxide forming since the oxygen can’t get at the metal, but how does the coating help with ensuring a metal-metal contact? Surely the coating sits between the metal contact points unless there is sufficient pressure in the connector to displace it?

Isn’t there a risk that any liquid/oil mixes with any dust and dirt that finds its way into the plug socket and forms a paste that makes the connection less reliable?

Of course, I don’t propose to know more than Chord and maybe I’m missing something here. I’ve a reasonable amount of experience with motorcycles where I’ve rebuilt looms and have used various dielectric greases etc. to seal the connector and stop dust ingress/salt damage but that’s a different environment to the inside of a house.

1 Like

I was at the Bristol demo. Did nothing that I could hear.

1 Like

If this does what it claims to do then I would have thought Chord could easily provide some measurements as verification - it’s supposed to be enhancing conductivity at the plug / socket interface.
I realise in the audio world it’s all in the listening but I’d be keen to see some other evidence of its effectiveness.

I have a bit of black oxidation on my SL speaker bananas too; anything to be concerned about or to do about it?

Putting a fluid in there would tend to fill the small spaces where the metal isn’t quite touching (due to the fittings being not perfectly smooth at a near-molecular level). The problem with those small spaces is that air can enter and cause oxidation. The build up of oxide will tend to physically force the two surfaces apart, reducing contact pressure (and area) elsewhere where clean metal is (was) touching. This potentially allows more air to enter and so-on, until the connection is compromised.

So, my take is that a fluid like this will perhaps improve the durability of the connection, requiring less maintenance, rather than necessarily be better than a new, clean connection. The fluid will tend to flow to places that weren’t touching anyway.

It’s worth remembering that not much surface area is actually required for the currents involved. The contact pressure is likely to be more important. Massive speaker connectors look impressive, and intuitively seem appealing, but if the contact pressure is not also massive, they may be sub-optimal. Multi-meter probes have sharp tips, both for the ability to precisely locate them, but also because that contact pressure will be very high for a given applied force. They can press though layers of dirt and corrosion to get very close atom-to-atom connection.

2 Likes

My guess is that it’s more about durability of the connection over time. See my other post.

Interesting, suzywong!

Was there any other things that Chord demoed during this event? Other Ethernet-cables, the new 8Switch or something else? Did you in that case hear any difference between those products?

Good explanation, winkyincanada! :+1:

If the fluid in itself is conductive, the “conductive area” would increase and perhaps the performance could be even greater that a new metal-to-metal connection?

To maintain performance over time for the connection (preventing oxide to build up), is perhaps the most important feature, I would say…

I think snake oil would probably be equally good value…

Best

David

1 Like

David, have you tested it or heard a demo or how do you know this is “snake oil”?

At least there are a reasonable technical description for how this product works (or at least could work)…

Best regards!
/Marcus

I’d say your explanation is pretty well spot on, based on my knowledge.

When I had some cables upgraded by Chord and went to the factory to pick them up, I was given a small sample to try and initially tried it (them) out on my speaker cables. It appears to be not just about cleaning the connectors (fluid 1) but filling the micro-cavities in the metal surfaces of the connectors (fluid 2).

The first thing I noticed was a noticeable increase in volume - for the same setting on the 552 - and then generally enhanced detail (the later being what I’d expect from cleaning the connector in the usual Naim-recommended way, but maybe more so).

Removal of oxidisation and increased surface area, I’m perfectly happy with that. Nothing to get all snake-oily about.

If the fluid is conductive, that’s perhaps a bonus, but if the fluid just “got out of the way” to let direct metal-to-metal contact while preventing oxidation, that would also be good.

I would suggest such an addition could lead to a nervous stress disorder, wondering whether such a dose of fluid is enough and over a period of time drying out.
I would imagine going at it everytime I wanted to have a good listening session.

I did such a thing, but with the Kontak fluid on my speaker terminals and banana plugs. Thinking that a wet contact sounded better. Ended up rotting out the speaker cables connection to the banana plug, then one time taking out it disintegrated.

Although it’s applied wet, you allow it to dry and then buff it.

Well, the only thing to do is give it a try… :wink:

I would guess that the fluid is conductive. This is from the use manual:

“Shake the Transmission Fluid Polymer bottle for one minute before opening. The conductive Transmission Fluid Polymer is in suspension and needs to be evenly distributed throughout the carrier liquid for best results”