Chord Sarum super aray vs. grey interconnect

Hi
To bad, that my topic has been closed (update supercap on prefix).
I remembered that Richard (@Richard.Dane) adviced to use the grey interconnect 4 to 5 instead of the hiline. I did so and it is really good. I also prefer the lavender over the hiline 5 to 5.
I now found a used chord Sarum super aray 4 to 5.
Is this an option or can I assume that it is also „overdone“ as the hiline.

Oh dear - this is a specific question…

Maybe someone can help.
Thanks so much

Some people will prefer the lavender, some the Chord, some will not hear a difference …:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have seen some 3 pin din-din Chord interconnects around. What’s the deal? Lavender and Hiline are 5 pin aren’t they?

All Naim DINs are 4 or 5 pin. Some power amps have 3 pin inputs but they are XLR, not DIN, and that’s only at one end.

Hi Chris, I’ve actually seen some Chord I/C cables for connecting Naim streamer to preamp which are just 3 pin din to 3 pin din. Was wondering why just 3 pins if the Naim ones use 5.

Only 3 pins are wired

2 Likes

A standard 3 pin DIN plug would fit into a 5 pin 180° socket, although I’m not aware of any Naim pin arrangement where this would work.

Do not underestimate the Lavender cable. It was developed to work in harmony with other Naim components and performs well above its’ price point.

1 Like

That’s what I als thought. But a chord (which has 3 pins instead of 5) is in really a different price range. 10 times or even more. Don’t know the price for a new cord Sarum super aray cable.

As he says. Chord just used standard 5 pin DIN plugs with the 2 unused pins removed. You only need L/R signal & Ground.

1 Like

Thanks James, makes sense. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Spud

1 Like

No problem with hijacking
Back to topic.
Anyone an idea of grey vs Sarum?

Thanks K, didn’t realise only 3 pins were wired.

Nice as the standard Lavender cable is, the upgrade to Sarum Super Aray is huge, not just in terms of detail but a sense of increased realism of sounds. The musical engagement to the listener is a sizeable improvement. (CDS3 - 552)

Also, about 4 years ago the Chord Sarum SA was superseded by Sarum T.
Although both these cables retail(ed) at new price around the £2k mark, the Super Aray can be found at lower costs due to being ‘old-new’ stock, pre-owed or trade-ins so should be far less than £2k, so better value for money too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks!
There is an offer for around 600 Euro for a super aray 4 to 5 (or 3).
Price is good, but I am very careful as I had recent experience with preferring the prefix over superline. Maybe me ears are only keen to Vintage Naim sound.
Do not hope the cord brings in the same difference as superline did.

1 Like

Something to consider is a Roland Gold MIDI cable. I’m using a 1.5m piece after reading Chord recommendations in respect to cable length

I’ve been comparing it with the stock Naim 5-pin connecting the NAT05 & 5italic.

No audible difference noted.

The Roland is $25 CDN at any good musical instrument vendor.

I haven’t seen this Chord recommendations, can you point me in the right direction.
However, sceptically, I feel cable a company’s main objective is to sell cable, and a longer length is more revenue to them than is a shorter cable.
My electric engineering brain says if an IC cable has any effect on sound, then minimising whatever it is that does this has to be good
As a result of this thinking, I’ve built my own, I used a cable with lowest C, L & R as possible & made to fit the distance between components - my shortest is 28cm.
The sound of my cables to me is as good if not better than a comparison with a few notable others, including HiLine.
Just a thought ….

“ Standard length of Clearway DIN cables is 1m. Many years ago we established that shorter length cables have a detrimental effect on Naim Audio amplifiers. Longer custom lengths are not a problem.”

From this I concluded an extra .5m couldn’t hurt, & cost only another $5.

OK I’ve already seen that, but sadly as is often the case, no supporting evidence.
As an electrical engineer, my logic says short cables have less of the CL&R that can affect the integrity of the source signal.
And as I said earlier, the more cable they sell, as in longer cables, the more money they make.

Consider it an abundance of caution…no desire to cause any damage to this marvellous 5italic.

Meanwhile, I’d recommend giving a Roland MIDI cable a try, especially at this price.