Chord Sarum T issue

I have a chord co sarum T 5pin din:din between by NDX2 and 552.
While removing the cable at the NDX2 end the while sheath (not sure what they are called) that covers the connection between the din connector and the wires from the cable slipped down exposing the wires at the termination point.
I pulled up the connector to where it was originally and re-inserted the cable and system sounds fine.
However the white chord sheath is now slightly loose. It stays in position if you leave the cable alone but if you pull back on the sheath it is easy to pull it down to expose the wires.
Not a big deal but was wondering if these chord sheaths are heat shrinkable? Is there a way to make it fit tightly again?
1st world problem, I know…

Pictures…? Difficult to understand, without… :thinking:

This is pic before sheath slipped down.

And after?

did not take pic, but imagine the white sheath slips down about 1/4 inch below the end of the metal Din connector. It was simple to just slide it back up.
I am pretty confident all connections of wires to din connector are good.
Just would like to know if this material is “heat shrink” just to make it fit more snug than it is now.
A pic of it now would show no difference except the end of the sheath by the arrow is a couple of mm shorter from reaching the visible screw.
OCD is my middle name, btw

David, as you can see from my photo the Chord I use suffers from an issue of the protective seath coming away from the plug. I tend to put it down to the cable not being designed for a din connection originally. The cable is super and works well, so I find I just ignore this cosmetic flaw and enjoy the music :+1:

Thanks, Alan
Did you sheath slip further down and you had to pull it back up?
Mine slid far enough down that I could see the internal wires and even the very end of the internal material that lines the inside of the cable… forget what it is called but supposedly works to improve the sound of the cable.
Again should I take the hair dryer on high heat to see if it shrinks the sheath?

I had exact same issue with then indigo and I did try and heat shrink it tighter as the sheath was black , it lasted a day

what did you use to heat shrink it?

Yes they are just fudged with heatshrink.
Just put it where you want it and give it a twirl over the gas ring sorted.
All that decoration needs stuck on somehow. :roll_eyes:

over the gas ring? You mean stove top?
A hair drying on high would not shrink it ?
Never done this in past you a novice

No David, it did not slip down to the extent you describe. But after teasing the sheath back up a couple of times the weight of the cables pulled it down again, so I gave up. After moving on from a Highline several years ago due to it’s tendancy to break as soon as you looked at it, this has not bothered me to that degree. Granted, the cost of various cables means that we wish to ensure all is well for our expenditure, so i fully understand your original query.

I’d be careful doing it over a gas ring as you may melt the nylon over braiding.

A small heat gun would be better, but I’d be tempted to check with Chord first, if you’re unsure of what to do or just leave it as is and be careful when moving it.

Start far above and spin it horizontally moving down gradually.
They use a heat gun at the factory a hairdryer is no good.
Keep it moving is the trick.

Hairdryer as didn’t want to damage the shrink , you might get away with it on black but not not on the white

what do “professionals” use to heat shrink?

A heat gun.


A hairdryer won’t do this, I’ve tried before buying a heat gun.
How about a gentle solution: apply pritt stick or pva glue around the din before sliding the sheath back up.
Heat shrink comes in glue lined versions for a reason!

1 Like

Well I suppose that is what happens when companies use heat shrink in this manner.
If it is simply there to cover up the junction between cable sheath and connector and a cheap way of adding a logo, then i don’t suppose it matters much, but if the heat shrink is there to offer cable relief then they should have used something else.

Not great considering the price of those cables. If you are not contemplating marching back to the shop to complain I would be tempted to apply a smear of clear silicone sealant around the rear of the connector and push the heat shrink back and let it set. Rather depends on how comfortable you are with such DIY activities.

Thanks all for the suggestions
Since it works well and the sheath stays on will do nothing
System sounding great since rebuild yesterday