Chord signature or Naim Hi Line

I would’ve thought that Naim would overhaul it and get to the bottom of the problem(s). It’s a shame because when it’s working as intended it’s a wonderfully rich & velvety sounding cable. With NDX 2 it’s a gorgeous audio match made in heaven, especially with any hard hitting music, it can help separate out the most complex of passages, with ease.

1 Like

No issues with mine so far

2 Likes

Yes, that’s it. If your source has RCA out, then a cable with RCAs for your source and a DIN connector for your Naim amp at the other end, would be best. So always use the DIN connection whenever possible.

I really like the sound of the Hi-line as well, Stephen, so does my wife. She noticed the difference immediately.
And yes, apologies to the OP for the thread hi-jack …

2 Likes

Vertere

Get the Superlumina and be done with it. I skipped the Hi-Line given the number of reports of it breaking.

2 Likes

Well I’ve had hi lines in various systems for 20 years odd and no problems what so ever

Buggered if I know what you blokes are going on about

Maybe I’m lucky

Bevo

2 Likes

That’s great to hear, there’s hope yet then and i’m going to be keeping the faith along with your good self :slightly_smiling_face: :pray:

The plastic is too brittle and the cable is too heavy.

1 Like

Though I’ve never suffered any breakages with mine (that’s probably jinxed it :grinning:) and despite the FOC repairs, you’d have thought that Naim would’ve redesigned the HiLine by replacing the brittle plastic with metal instead.

Im using a RCA/DIN from the LP12’s Urika so it would mean having to take the deck back to dealer to remove the HiLine before sending away for any repair. So far, so good…

1 Like

Just looked at mine. It’s broken in the last week without touching it.

It’s not till you look that most then realise that it is broken and probably been like that for a long time

Yup - here are the breakages, and by the looks of things, caused by the weight of the cable itself.

I assume it’s because the plastic age hardens?

Hi Stephen, I wonder if yours is breaking because of the way it’s hanging. If you have both ends at roughly the same height (e.g. source and pre side- by-side) then the weight of the cable will be shared 50:50 between the two connectors. But, if, for example, your source component is on the the top shelf and your pre 2 or 3 shelves down then most of the cable weight will be hanging from the top connector

1 Like

Hi Allan,

you may make a valid point in the weight distribution of the cable, but i’m using a Naim Fraim, and if i were to use two Fraims then the brains side will still apply in the same way with the installation of the cable itself.

Have you got your source and pre as close in height as possible, I,e. no intermediate shelves?

Yes my SN3 is on the top shelf and my NDX 2 directly below - this keeps the SNAICs from my HiCap from touching the floor on a base and 3x level Fraim.

1 Like

Come on guys we are talking about a £839 interconnect that often breaks from its own weight alone.
You should not have to rearrange your stacks to try and compensate.

Naim must be aware of the issue.

9 Likes

Is it always the same end that breaks? (Not that you’re doing anything unusual that might cause it to break, but it might help to understand why it’s poor design is causing you so many problems)

To be fair here i’ve only had Fraim for only a month, before that i using an AV shelf where the components were all the same hight, not had this issue with the back of the connector breaking before mind, so it’s possible that the Fraim may have introduced yet another problem for the cable itself.