Classic to 200 Series plan

Hi. I used to have a SN3 and HiCap with an Auralic streamer and Chord DAC. Sound wise they sounded great with my Proacs D20R.

Then the new 200 series arrived and WOW! :flushed: Considering my room I should say the 200 series trio is my better investment in years.

To be honest I have not heard the 300 and 500 series to compare to but I’m very pleased and surprised with this 200 series.

2 Likes

What did you end up with?

I ended up with the complete new 200 series: NSC 222, NPX 300 and NAP250. Worth it!

1 Like

Very nice too, I’ve been super happy with my changes so far.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your new 200 series.
If you’ve kept your ProAc D20Rs you have pretty much the same system as me!
And without trying to sound too smug about it, I’ve no desire to change - long may it last.
Sit back and enjoy the music :metal:.

1 Like

Tapp, glad you like your system as I do. I like the synergy between the 200 series and the Proac’s.

@Milton @Tapp the both of you have got me thinking maybe the new 200 series is enough for my D2R’s, I’m just afraid of moving my nDAC/XPSDr on. A 3 box setup is so damn appealing however.

NC NAP250 on the SN3 then replace it with a NAC332, you can then keep the current source arrangement.

1 Like

That totally makes sense but I do wonder if adding a pre-amp first and use the SN3 as a power amp is a better approach. Guess either or…

Hi Marcus,
I think your issue is you really like your current source, would like to upgrade amplification but have little opportunity to listen or demo.
If it was me I’d find it very hard to change your source so would, in line with your first instinct, go pre/power route. You can always update source if you think it’s worth it at a later date.
Good to have options……

2 Likes

Your source is good enough for whatever amp you throw at it.

A move to 3 box 222/300/250 would no doubt sound different.

1 Like

As you may know, I had a similar challenge myself recently moving away from a SN3 + NDX2. In the end I was able to reuse another device I already had (Linn Selekt DSM) and take full advantage of the residual value of the SN3 + NDX2.
Originally, I had planned to do something similar to what I suggested to you above. My logic being I would keep my NDX2 and end up with a NAP 250 + 200 Series NAC, using the SN3 as a bridge towards that.
The challenge currently is that the NAC332 is quite a big financial leap to take, and ultimately, would be optimal with a NPX300 driving it, adding even more cost overall. Alternatively, you have the option of the NSC222 but given its sonic signature, you may not actually prefer that to what you have already.
The obvious answer is to listen before you buy, they are quite different systems, and whilst the New Classic range has received overall high praise, it’s your money and ears and it’s a significant investment.
I felt adding the NAP first was the least risk, it would work well even in a mix of legacy and new, and would mean the preamp and source choices could be made over a longer period of time, hence me suggesting it here in your case.

1 Like

I find it interesting how many of us are moving on from our sn3’s (old classic for me rather than 200 series). I hope whatever upgrades people are getting we all enjoy them.

1 Like

I am so far, I think in part for me it was a fear of a cliff edge of residuals on legacy boxes. Once the 300 Series is in retail there will likely be a spike of NDX2 trade ins and a glut of those in the used market. There’s already an above average number of them available from those moving to NSC222.
SN3 remains fairly robust from a resell perspective but once that is replaced (SN200), again, the used value will decline inevitably.
My NDX2 was a late 2019 model and SN3 from 2020 so age wise it was also a good time to trade up, I basically did a swop of those for a brand new NAP250, so apart from the need of a line out cartridge for my DSM, it was a relatively cheap upgrade (few £100 all in).
It’s a very different system overall, I liked the SN3 + NDX2 as a two box system a lot, what I don’t miss is the ALPS volume and balance, I can listen via my DSM down to 1 on the volume dial and the audio is still clear and balanced, the SN3 needed to be at a reasonable volume before I even had a balanced output and then only really got going up beyond 8/9 O’Clock, which is ok mostly but always felt like a compromise if I’m honest.

1 Like

Upgraditis has a lot to answer for.
Releasing products higher up food chain before refreshing those lower, if I’m being cynical, may encourage this sort of behaviour.
Famous last words but I’m done for now :joy:.
Enjoy the music.

4 Likes

A 200 Series NAC is what I’m interested to see, more challenging is what ends up as a 200 Series NSS.
I’d quite like the idea of it being screenless like the ND5 XS2 yet still with the option to add an NPX 300 (is there a 200 Series PSU to appear for pre/source at a lower price point?)
I never really got on with the display on the NDX2, I much prefer the UX on my DSM, sharp monochrome text only on a high resolution OLED display.
It would be surprising to not see a NC NAIT, Supernait class fitting logically into a 200 Series range, it does leave a refresh of 5/XS Series open ended, arguably there’s little point touching it and preferably just leaving alone, volume/percentage wise one would imagine it’s not a significant tier in the portfolio as a whole.

Agree it will be interesting to see if separates, at 200 level, are released.
Half width at 100 level would seem to tick a box for quite a lot of folk too……

2 Likes

In theory a 100 Series could just replace all the lower rungs including 5 Series and XS Series. I think the issue there is that it’s lower volume and lower margin than what exists above it, the markup by the time you get to 300 Series is likely to be quite healthy.
They also have a manufacturing capacity issue, they’re already bulging at the seams to cover what’s already known quantities, adding to that can only be done by off site and near shore manufacturing, something they probably don’t have the funds or appetite to invest in if they were honest.

They’ll know in fairly short order how successful the Nait 50 has been.
From what I can see most hifi businesses are jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon.
We’ll see……

In one of the videos that have been linked in one of the threads here recently, Jason Gould talks about NDX2 as a “legacy” unit. I suspect that it will not be manufactured for much longer at all.