Confusion

I am impressed Popeye at past your age i was at 82/cds/ 250/ active sbl. Then the kids arrived, went to America…returned and we had many other priorities. The kids were not interested…in hifi, it was dvd stuff. Hence retired and rebuilding.

You didn’t know Gazza, Popeye is working as a trader and eating spinach every hour?

1 Like

And he is supposed to have more interest in Olive.

10 Likes

LOL — that’s actually a very good one… :joy:

Great advice from @Gazza! I’ve been to the top of the Naim ladder, went to other brands and then came back to smaller Naim, and have slowly been creeping back up the Naim hierarchy again. My advice would be to have a long term plan and be prepared to have a few diversions along the way.
I know very well that my current system can be improved by better amplification, but I honestly don’t feel I’m missing out on much of the music (I used to own a 552/500). That’s not to say that a SN3 is close in quality to a 552/500, rather that, if your loving your music, you’re exactly where you need to be on the ladder at any particular point in time.
My current system with ND555 and SN3 makes music sound as it should to my brain and ears in my, admittedly, rather nearfield listening configuration. When I move home that could all change and what seemed right before may need something else, maybe speakers, maybe amps, maybe both, to bring back that balance and fulfilment. But the ND555 will likely work with whatever it’s attached to.

1 Like

So… anyway, anyone going to answer my question? :rofl:

A can of spinach and some dealer or home demo’s, nuffin else will do😉

1 Like

I thought GraemeH posted an answer to your question…

…btw, how’s your current system sounding?

1 Like

Yes Graham was the only one! Ha
Yes sounds good…

1 Like

The answer of course is to go and listen. One person’s ‘massive improvement’ is another’s ‘a bit better’. £8,000 is loose change to some and four years’ hard saving for others.

4 Likes

Well if people answered I could maybe judge that. Nothing wrong with asking the opinion of those with personal experience. :crazy_face:

I do find the finance responses funny, haven’t said I own, buying, bought, buying new, used or gifted or just plain interested.

1 Like

Ideally, planning towards the end goal is sensible, but not always easy to actually do, especially if seeking second hand units. I went with the XPS DR in your situation, partly for box limit, but mostly for source first to get more that the SN2 can deliver. It also future proofs the set up for any of the classic separate options. An A/B comparison would be useful, but if the end goal is to have both, then it may not be that much of an issue which order you go in.

Hi @popeye. I’m only a few short years older than you so may be able to bring some perspective. My sense is that you are firmly on the Naim ladder and climbing it relatively sensibly and in no great rush. The most important thing (especially if you have young children) is never to make any purchase of this stuff if that means something they need is deferred. If you can do both without borrowing any money then all’s good.

As for your next step (assuming this is an incremental process) I’d probably say add a pre loved 555DR to your NDX2. You are then perfectly placed to move up to a ND555 or NDS or just leave your NDX2 in place but as you upgrade the amps you know your source is up to it. If you were to go for a XPS DR you’ll just end up going again relatively quickly and it will cost you more.

As for amps, when the time comes (over the next few years) and assuming a 552 is a way off I’d skip the 282 and try to go for the 252 / SCDR; same principle as for the 555/XPSDR.
A 300DR would be your sweet spot especially with your speakers.

Good luck

2 Likes

Confused no more! :crazy_face::star_struck:

4 Likes

282/250? Is it as good as you hoped?

Only just hooked it up so I’ll be back with an opinion later on. :+1:t2:

Well, I hope you are pleased, especially as it’s what I said I’d do if it were my system. I’m sure it will be great.

1 Like

I’d be very surprised - and suggesting a trip to the audiologist - if you aren’t really pleased with the improved dynamics and clarity…

I am…What is the system now?

G

Supernait2 changed out for 282/250DR. :+1:t2:

4 Likes