Confusion

Well, that empty shelf really needed to be filled… :rofl:

First impressions?

Impressive!

3 Likes

It reminds me when I had rega Mira integrated, then 112/150, 202/200. The day I received the 282/hicap, I knew I was opening a new world. I was impressed.

1 Like

Well it sounded bloomin marvellous for about 20mins and has now certainly closed in and lost its dynamics.
Can only be down to the 250 as it’s brand new. How long before it comes back on song do we reckon?
Don’t get me wrong, it still sounds far superior to the Supernait2

@anon4489532 I understand what you mean about the speakers growing in size!

Mine opened after 1 week, 24/24. Some will say several weeks. But 100 hours is a minimum I feel.

1 Like

Just got a lovely free upgrade!

Always have the lights set to off on the 282 and I was just paying closer attention to what’s what on the front and I’ve been listening mainly with “mono” on!

:see_no_evil: what a plonker!! :rofl:

6 Likes

Done that a few times. If you’re enjoying the music, sometimes you forget about soundstage.

Sounds like it might be time to check the speakers are in phase too! :wink: :joy:

Years since I’ve had an amp with a mono button. Why would you ever want to listen in mono?

1 Like

If recording apparently.

Not sure that would make any noticeable difference. Ideally to listen to a mono recording, if you have a balance control and it reduces one side to zero you should use it to do just that, or unplug either a speaker wire or interconnect (in latter case with power amp off) whichever is easier, and hear from a single speaker as intended.

The two instances for which I can see a mono button being useful are 1) when playing something with weird channel split that you don’t like, maybe like the early Beatles LPs where the vocals and instruments were either on one channel or the other, not panned between, or 2) if there is a fault in the source causing one channel to be silent, and you want the sound there is to be played by both speakers to give you a false image in the centre.

Indeed: and putting into mono could well highlight out of phase speakers better than separate stereo channels - so a third use for a mono button!

I am sure it was @Richard.Dane that mentioned that the “mono” function was of use to those recording?

Yes, it’s a useful tool for making adjustments to accurately evening up left and right record levels.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.