Connect TT to UQ2

Hi all, brand new to site and struggling to find an answer to my problem.
I have just been gifted an as-new UQ2. I’m struggling to set up my turntable (Rega P3). I’m used to a more ‘traditional’ amo with lots of inputs however I’m struggling to figure out where to plug TT in. I also have a Naim CD player and managed to get that running ok.
Can anyone advise on the correct way to connect a TT up to the UQ2?

Do you have a phono stage? You’ll need one of those between your P3 and the UQ2. The Unitiqute has an analog input on a pair of RCA Phono sockets - you’ll use that input from the phono stage.

1 Like

You’ll need a phono stage such as a Rega Fono. As the Qute has only one analogue input you cannot connect both the Rega and the CD player at the same time unless you can use a digital input. It may be that the Qute isn’t really what you want, and that a standard amplifier may fit the bill better.

1 Like

You get a single rca stereo input marked in yellow. Unless you choose a phono stage with digital output, this is where you would connect your phono stage, with input from the rega. All your digital sources such as a CD player connect to the coaxial digital or optical inputs marked in green.

2 Likes

What Naim CD player do you have? Not all that many Naim players came with a digital output, so running 2 analogue sources (1, your cd analogue out, 2, your Rega via a separate phono stage) will not be possible, and we’ll all have to get inventive :slight_smile:

1 Like

The UQ is equipped with a front analogue 3.5 jack input could be an option.

2 Likes

Tricky, awkward are a couple of words to use here, but not insurmountable

You haven’t said what Naim CD player, if it has a digital output - then you are fine, if not it’s tricky .

As others have said you need a phono stage , this will take the ultra low signal from the Rega and convert it to signal the UQ can handle , a Rega Fono.

So if the Uniti Qute has only one analogue input and you have two sources , you’ll need something like a Tisbury passive pre-amp. This allows two sources to be put into one unit and you then select what you are going to feed the Uniti Qute

The alternative is something like a Rega Io and then use the Uniti Qute as a source into that.

1 Like

Well, as HiFiman mentions, there is a second analogue input on the front with a 3.5 jack. If you get a proper cable, it works fine, I have used it often in the past.

2 Likes

You could just use a simple input expander. QED used to be the go to solution here and their two way input expansion boxes often turn up on eBay and the like for about £10 or so.

2 Likes

Something like this
Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 15.50.09

1 Like

Another option, the beresford tc 7240 gives 4 line inputs for £90.

1 Like

I have a Rega Neo PSU, and I also have a NAD Phono Preamp, are any of those useful? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I’m pretty new to this.

Thanks for your response. Are you saying that I can plug my CD player into just one of the digital inputs (top ones in green)?

Hi Ian, thanks for your response. I have a Naim CD5i which doesn’t have a digital output.

The Neo PSU will power the P3. You send signal from the P3 into the NAD Phono pre-amp and then into the Unitiqute. Only issue here is you have two analog sources and only the one analog input. So, I would suggest a switch unit such as the QED one I suggested above, or else use the front input for one of the sources (you’ll need a 3.5mm jack adaptor or appropriate interconnect).

1 Like

Thanks Ian, are you saying that I can use this cable to plug directly from the TT into the digital input on the UQ2, or do I need a preamp. I have a NAD preamp but couldn’t get it working when plugged into the analogue inputs.
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

By the way Ian, is that a RCA to 3.5mm Cable?

1 Like

If your CD player doesn’t have digital output then you can only use the stereo line in.

Your turntable needs a phono stage. If you have a nad one, then you can use that.

The uq2 has 2 line in sockets; 1 pair of rca on the back, one 3.5mm stereo jack on the front.

So you should be able to use one for your CD player and the other one for your phono stage.

2 Likes

I’ve been searching for the QED one but no luck so far. If anyone can recommend a current model switch expander that would be fabulous :slight_smile:

Look for a QED MA20. There’s usually a number for sale on eBay and the like, all for under a tenner.

1 Like