Connecting Naim system with power distribution block

Do these blocks come with a choice of filtered of unfiltered sockets?

Not when using ansuz power distribution. The main socket is socket 4 marked as the one to use so should be connected to the supercap or hicap used for the preamp.

1 Like

They come in two versions, either six way non filtered or a 3+3 way where just 3 are filtered. I’ll be going fully unfiltered

Nice to read, you have the same experience with the improvement, placing the PSU of preamp in the earth socket of the Power distribution. And I do not often hear, Ansuz combined with Naim Gear. Maybe the Ansuz distribution works different to other brands.

The documentation for the ansuzz power distirbution is very clear on how the connection must be made in order to work as intended. I think there are more ansuz uusers on the forum than you may think. The ansuz thinking on what is important seems to be very close to what naim is saying so a good match but expensive.
Claus

2 Likes

Expensive indeed. But also a little weird, as some products work. As you say, the way of thinking of Naim, reducing noise, is sort of similair. I took a D2 power switch and ethernet for a home demo, and the XPS DR. I did not believe a switch could make a big difference, as I was looking for some experts on youtube, explaining that an Ethernet cable can not make a difference.
I ended up buying the switch and Ethernet cable, and I will buy the XPS DR or the new Naim PSU first. The XPS DR made an good improvement, but the power switch did magic. One does not exclude the other.

3 Likes

Is that on principle, or because you’ve tried it and heard that the unfiltered sockets sound better?

[If I was making that decision, I’d get the 2x3 block and compare the 2 types of sockets then get the unfiltered block if they sound better.]

Lots of reasons really, and I’m sure someone will say I’m wrong, but here goes

I doubt my dealer will have both types for testing.
Even if they did, they may not be fully run in. In most cases when I have borrowed gear before, it had been new.
Naim have tried various filters and found a reduction in SQ, even when the filter was plugged into the wall in a socket across the room with nothing plugged into it
I’m not much of a gambler, and tend to play safe. Keeping to standard Naim upgrades and advice helps here.
I’m not good at hearing improvements when adding stuff, but better hearing when reverting back.
Cabinet not easy to get to, so don’t like making too many changes
Some people have reported removing their filter years later and found an improvement
I have a 10mm dedicated mains feed to the HiFi which should help to remove a lot of noise

So in summary my choice should be an improvement, and I can then forget about it

2 Likes

That makes sense.

How many power cables will you plug into the block?

Just 5, so a spare for the future. Also with them being radial/star config I won’t need to worry about plug order

1 Like

What is it about this block you like vs say a Purist, Chord or other block?

In both cases, size. Needs to be long and thin. Thinner the better. No space for anything bigger.

Others that are nearer the right size, also tend to have filtering

My experience is in favour of using a Hydra. I had distribution boxes wired as shown in other reponses to this thread, but the Hydra, costing much less than half of those boxes, just sounded better to me in my system (282/SC/250DR).
As they all used standard Naim mains cable, the only reason I can give is that that point of the star earth is closer to the amps and that the length of the cable before the joint earth star is made is almost exactly the same. All the distribution boxes I have seen result in a larger differences in the mains leads before the joint earth star is achieved.
It might not matter to some, but I can only go by what sounds better in my system, and considering how cheap it is compared to other distribution boxes being mentioned, worth a try, if only to eliminate it as a factor in the SQ people prefer.
Best wishes Amer

1 Like

Has anyone ever looked inside the joint on a Hydra?

I’d be very interested to know what’s actually been done there.
I don’t mean the principal involved - rather, the physical methods employed.

It looks to me very much like a resin filled recepticle like BT (and others) use to make underground water tight connections/joins/repairs.
I have only seen pictures, though!

How are the multiple wires joined to the single feed wire?

Thanks for any information…

1 Like

I wouldn’t have one in a gift or plug it in my house. :cold_sweat: :scream:
IMG_7304

Why not ? Grahams seems to have gone to some length to CE mark these so must have a TCF available for inspection and be electrically safe, incoming cable correctly rated including the mains plug etc. They’ve been selling them for long enough.

CE never means a product is safe or made according to the requirements. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure the product fulfils standards, directives and such but that also means they can just slab a CE mark on it and wish for that no authority makes a random control. There are products sold in millions and for years that when controlled is not following the standard accordingly.

1 Like

@Blackbird
Great answer thank you.

It’s a bit like PAT testing they don’t care how it’s made only that is tests properly for certification.

Indeed but if inspected, they need to be able to show they’ve considered they’ve met the directive they are designing to. This is not some piece of crap from China sporting a token CE label !

Items don’t get tested for certification unless supplied at your own expense to trading standards.
The onus is on the manufacturer and only applies when tested after a reported failure.
Usually by fire scene investigators my friend is one.
There are many things sold in shops that I wouldn’t buy so why should I risk something I know how it must be made.