Connecting Rega Saturn to XS3 advice?

Just acquired a Rega Saturn cd player and would welcome advice on best connection options to a Naim XS3 and recommended appropriate interconnect.
Thanks

Just take two RCA plug outputs, the ā€˜DAC CD analogue outputā€™, and connect to some RCA inputs on the XS3.

If you are yet to spend some nice money on interconnects, I would look into a cable that goes from RCAs (2) to Naimsā€™ DIN plugs. (inside the XS3 the DIN have a better connection.)

Pretty sure Chord will have some options here.

I wouldnā€™t blow the budget thoughā€¦ But, YMMV.

In theory, a din plug at the Naim end will be best. Naim make an excellent RCA phono to Din cable, which costs around Ā£120 and can be bought from Naim dealers. If you prefer to have RCA at both ends, Regaā€™s Couple cables are very good and again, not silly money.

3 Likes

@HungryHalibut is spot on, with those recommendations. Could save yourself a lot of time by simply making a choice between those two alternatives.

Itā€™s possible to go higher.
Hope these related posts make for interesting readingā€¦

Maybe stretch to go to Shawline. But with those items, might not get (hear) any further benefit, beyond .

Ideal situation would be to ask your local Naim dealer to loan some cable options, from their loans / demo room stock, just over a weekend. Find out for yourself.

Good luck
R

1 Like

The Saturn is reputed to be a really good player , it needs good connections to you XS3 ( again a quality component) , I have just bought a Chord Shawline for my Naim CD5si and Nait 50, I also have a Naim UnitiQute that I use as a DAC and streamer for internet radio

That too is connected via Chord Shawline to the Nait 50 , indeed I have gone one step further than that in that both UnitiQute and CD5si use Chord Shawline power cords .

1 Like

Those links certainly suggest the Shawline level of interconnect is not choking the potential capability of the ā€˜ampā€™ rendering a GREAT playback. (better was identified going ā€˜higherā€™ but the Shawline was the base level for being a jump above a good Naim cable; identified as being better than the lower two tiers (that were tested) by @ratrat.)

the linked to thread regarding cables had a couple of posts that really cleared up ā€˜what to expectā€™ in real world usageā€¦ (and described things as I would likely do when noting ā€˜cable differencesā€™; so lines up with my expectations and is easy for me to take onboard as ā€˜potentially trueā€™)

Cables arguably are the last steps of sorting out a systems sound.
Unless, like me, you have a few cables sitting around begging to be used, and can, with no expectation bias ([i]maybe previous samplings of ā€˜said cableā€™ in previous systems, ā€œsureā€), or ā€˜need to net valueā€™ from a purchasing decision etcā€¦ loading my biasā€™.

Oddly enough I replaced a flagship Kordz cable with a mid tiered Chords cable and have loved the pairing with the Nait amplifier.
I believe (if) it is an electrical properties matching thing; perhaps Witchhat (?) brand cables are another to consider (ex Naim employees I read in a thread here somewhere).

Took a couple of weeks to settleā€¦ by present setup is musical in every regard and Iā€™d argue, certainly at ā€˜low volumesā€™ a better listen for me than my previous (higher tiered) amp in situ.

Not on all recordings quite yet (a few are still ā€œa little grainyā€ as of a couple of days ago; might need be rechecked though based on listening today so far!)

OP: Saturn is a nice CD player, and likely going to be the DAC in the system from streaming sources etcā€¦ great way to use one set of ā€˜cableā€™ to improve multiple sources!!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions. Think Iā€™ll give the Naim din to rca cable a go to start with. Looking forward to giving my cd collection a new lease of life

2 Likes

Iā€™d warn against switching cables, as can prove false economy

You can only use one set (at a time), splitting ā€˜investmentā€™ pointlessly isnā€™t wise.

For clarity, you need a RCA to DIN .

2 Likes

I agree in using DIN inputs are usually preferred.

However when using Rega CD players Iā€™ve always preferred Rega Couple interconnect(any edition is fine), only available RCA configured.

Rega Couple is known as a variant of Klotz or Mogami cables, usually for studio use, nice free of any audiophile snake oil.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.