Connectivity

Thick concrete walls are usually full of steel reinforcement. This might be effectively a “faraday cage” which may block your wifi signals.
You really do need to work out some way of getting either a cable routed somehow to the room where your Muso is or a work around.
As a work-around, in a flat, a pair of powerlines adaptors might be your best bet.
You plug your router into one and plug it into a mains socket. You then plug the paired one into a mains socket in the room where your Muso lives. You can then plug an ethernet cable into the powerline adaptor and connect it to your Muso.
It’s not a perfect solution but may work for you.

Possibly before trying various solutions, find out what the problem is?

Back to basics. Set the Muso up in the same room as the router. Does it now work?

If not connect it via ethernet cable. Does it work? If so the problem is with the Muso not finding the wifi network.

If it works wifi in the router room then take the Muso to the adjacent room, does it work?

etc until you find where it drops off the network. Then you know where you need to place a preferably, mesh access point, or a repeater if you really must.

Re the powerline adapters. They are the devils spawn and should be used only as a last resort.

Power lines can work just fine, I have zero issues in my setup… YMMV

1 Like

Indeed they can work.

1 Like

You can even add a wifi access point to the extender powerline adaptor to give you decent wifi.
Yes, they’re not ideal but in some cases, it’s a practical solution.
They wouldn’t work in our apartment here in Sydney as we have too many different circuits on too many different circuit breakers and even different phases apparently.
We bit the bullet in the end and drilled through concrete floors and walls to install ethernet cabling.

Don’t bank on it. I have a Core, a Muso Qb (Gen 1) and a Muso (Gen2) on a home network based on a BT Router and one disc in a mesh configuration. I am having continual issues with devices disappearing from the Naim app. I have another thread that records what steps I have gone through and am continuing to try to fix matters.

I have the SmartHub-2 & 1x WiFi Disc (black) & its been faultless
The only Naim problem is a very minor occasional finding rooms irritant that is a Naim app problem.

Hi. I believe what HH is sugesting, is that you just run an ethernet cable across the floors for a few days to see if that fixes everything. It probably will. I’ve done that sort of thing a vew times to do a ‘process of elimination’.
25 foot, 50 foot and 100 foot cables are cheap on Amazon. It doesn’t have to be a good one, just any Cat6. With Amazon, you can even return it if you keep the packaging.
Hard wire is almost always best. I doubt it’s the unit that’s at fault.

Ok - so generally it’s been working fine. Airplay is a ok but drops off sometimes, blue tooth never works. But the naim app is usually fine. Here’s what’s happened today:

1. Nothing is working at all.

Step one. I shall see if switching cube on and off helps:

1. AirPlay fine
  2. Naim app fine
  3. Blue Tooth not working

I won’t bother with the next step which would have been taking it close to route.

So generally working ok, but the cube seems to crash quite regularly and need rebooting.

I can live with it. But I don’t think I would recommend Naim to anyone. It’s just too hard. And Naim have consistently ignored every email I have sent them. They once posted on this thread, but didn’t follow up.

But when it’s working it’s sounds so good. But generally it makes me angry and frustrated!

Thanks so much to everyone that has provided advice.

Guy

Hi Guy, did you contact Support? If so, please let me know your ticket number and I’ll make some calls.

Thanks!!
Guy

1 Like

Support have got through to me with some advice on trying to restore Bluetooth access. First for the log, here’s the current situation:

1. AirPlay doesn’t work
  2. Naim app works fine
  3. Blue tooth doesn’t work
  4. Air Play works now, it only works if I connect via the Naim app first.

I’m not quite sure what I’m switching off and when to toggle! Instructions and my reply attached!

Has anyone lost the will to live by my blog yet!?

Guy

For the Bluetooth issue, on your iPhone (or iPad) open Settings > Bluetooth and tap the (i) symbol next to the listed Mu-so Qb entry. Tap Forget This Device. Turn the iPhone off (power off).
Turn the iPhone back on and now reconnect via Bluetooth to the Mu-so, which you can do from iPhone > Settings > Bluetooth or the Naim App.

For the AirPlay issue you must have some sort of network issue. On your iPhone go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. After performing this reset you will need to enter your router Wi-Fi password to reconnect to Wi-Fi.

From my experience I was having intermittent issues with Airplay, the culprit was my router. Since I have changed it I haven’t had a single Airplay issue. Might be worth trying a different router to eliminate this possibility.

1 Like

XMB - you are a star. Blue tooth is now working. THANKYOU. I’ll table the airplay issue later!!
Guy

1 Like

Very much hoping this is my last post. This is how it works now:

1. At first AirPlay doesn’t pick up the Muso
  2. Blue Tooth works just fine now (thanks XML!)
  3. Naim app works fine
  4. AirPlay works fine once it has been woken up by the above.

So although AirPlay is not working that well, I think I’ll call it fixed.

Thanks Justin from NAIM who offered to talk me through, but looks like I’m all sorted. Unless anyone has an AirPlay fix?

Thanks for helping Naim community.

Guy

Did you carry out the network reset on your iPhone yet?

If that does not work it is almost certainly a router issue, as you say AirPlay works once the Naim App has “made contact” with the Mu-so.

I just remembered a year or more ago, I tried AirPlay on my Muso QB2 and it wouldn’t work.
I emailed Naim support who replied it was most likely my ISP supplied router at fault, although it was a brand new, ISP supplied one which I can’t easily change due to our VOIP phone being part of the router settings which are not possible to add to another router (apparently).
So I left it alone as I don’t normally use AirPlay anyway.
I recently realised that since an iOS update or Naim app update, AirPlay now does work. So it appears that the router wasn’t at fault at all…

XMB you are a genius. Network settings reset and now AirPlay works. I now have a fully functioning NAIM after 10 months. I can now truly bond with it.
THANKYOU XMB AND EVERYONE
GUY

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.