Connectivity

Generally I’m starting to feel I’m getting somewhere with the new position. But this is today’s test:

1. Airplay direct from Tidal seemed to be working. But after about fifteen minutes it dropped out.

2. Direct from NAIM app working fine.

3. Blue tooth failed.

4. Air play still failing

So it’s sort of working but still flakey.

Wifi speed seems ok:

Everything bar BT was working fine this morning. But this afternoon, nothing is working. Airplay or NAIM native.

Can you change the working channel on the router and your devices?
It may be that your current channel is overloaded/compromised in some way.

What is your network comprised of now? Just the router or are there wifi extenders in play?

Did you follow the advice to delete the Naim App and factory reset the Mu-So, then start setup again?

Not yet. How do I factory reset the Naim cube? I can delete the app though easy enough.

Just a router. I got rid of the extenders, they seemed to be creating problems.
Thanks!
Guy

I don’t know what a channel is or how to change them! Not very tech literate. But Thankyou! Guy

The Mu-So page on the Naim main site has full instructions in the support section. However, you just press the reset button (use a tool in the small hole) for 10 seconds, until the LED turns orange. The reset process takes 30 seconds, then you can set it up again. Please check you have the latest firmware installed, you will be prompted during the setup process of an update is required.

This try today, still nothing working. So I switched it on and off!!

1. AirPlay working
  2. Naim native working fine
  3. Blue tooth not working

I’ll see how this goes for a while then consider the factory reset.

Thanks everybody!!!
Guy

Update today:

1. Air Play not working initially.
  2. Naim app working fine
  3. Blue tooth not working
  4. Air play now working fine

Hope everyone is enjoying this fascinating blog post!!
Your collective help has been much appreciated.
Happy Christmas!!
Guy

I did actually go through this process a few weeks ago with the reset when I unplugged the TP extender. Improved performance once I shifted the cube into a better range.
Though I haven’t done it in tandem with reinstalling the app. This might be my next move!!
Thank
Guy

A wifi extender as used by the OP is of limited value, it too has to connect wirelessly to the router where it is already established the signal is poor.

The solution has been mentioned a number of times. You need ethernet. You have said the router is two rooms over. Even an ethernet cable into the middle room with a decent wife extender connected via ethernet will help a lot.

1 Like

There really is no way of getting an Ethernet connection through the thick concrete walls of this flat. And the extenders just seem to cause problems. The one I bought was a TP-Link which was recommended to me.

I’m surprised Naim haven’t provided any advice. I’ve emailed several times now. I think they need to be more open about the technical problems of the cube.

Thanks for all the advice.
Guy

If you’re in the UK I think a BT Whole Home mesh wifi system will probably solve your problems. As for Naim responding, I guess that with the holidays plus Covid they are short on staff at the moment if indeed they are even open over the holiday period.

Indeed it probably will. These are the BT ‘white’ coloured extender discs.
However if you decide to get a BT contract, then the best option will be BT’s Complete WiFi. This has the BT Smart Hub 2 & additional ‘black’ WiFi Disc(s). These work as a matched wifi extender system

Again though if the wifi in the room with the naim is bad, as the download speed may indicate (well it may indicate throughput) then adding a bt disk via wifi may not help terribly, the BT disks like all mesh networks really does its thing with an ethernet back bone.

That being said the TP link thingy he showed in the picture on looks alone does not fill me with confidence, perhaps spending a few more quid might help.

The OP says he can’t put ethernet through the house. I got round this by installing an ethernet cable round the outside of my house. Only cost me about £150 and I now have solid wired ethernet connectivity at 1 Gbps from my isp hub in my study to my lounge where it feeds not only my hifi but also smart tv, av system, sky box plus anything else I care to plug in. Easily enough for all streaming needs.
It could also be used to feed a WiFi AP with (as @garyi says) a solid ethernet backbone.

1 Like

The OP mentioned he is in a flat. There may well be interference from other occupiers, their networks and devices.

The suggestions for factory reset, a temporary eithernet cable (very cheap from Amazon etc.), change of router, WiFi mesh, BT discs, are all valid - or just get a network guy with the appropriate skills and equipment…

I missed the living in a flat bit - going round the outside may therefore be a tad difficult, but maybe not impossible. :grin:
Must confess was rather confused around the reluctance to use a temprorary ethernet cable - especially as they are so cheap and it would help diagnose where the problems are by allowing him to:

1. Not use WiFi at all thereby confirming wired connectivity
  2. Place routers/APs at different positions to confirm where to position them to enable WiFi.

Maybe he has done that already and I missed that as well. :grin: