Considering moving away from my Supernait 1

I agree, I am a SN1 owner, with a HCDR and have recently added a Qutest. It’s a strong combination.

Lets see - I hear very good things about the the Qutest over USB, but will seriously consider an Allo or maybe a Merdian 210 as a network bridge going forward.

@charnik
VERY pleased with the JBL L100’s - still grin like a kid every time they are playing. They have toned down a little on the top end (probably a good thing) but the dynamics are still incredible. As for a valve amp…no idea! But they run very happily with an Atom.
Regarding the 1210GAE, I am awaiting stock and I have a UK model on order but its unclear if it actually comes with the cartridge, there another thread on the TT as 2 US members have received theirs…making me even more excited by their feedback.

1 Like

Seeing your system, the space it enjoys and the way it has been put together, you have a system that probably looks as good as it sounds.

1 Like

Well, the Qutest is now in place hooked up with QED Signature 40 phono leads. Most noticeable is the bass, so controlled a defined, but also the sound stage is airy, best word I can find describe, the JBL’s already had a wide sound stage but this feels spacious rather than sounds spacious. I struggle with these audio descriptive words!

I must say it really has made quite a difference, even before breaking in and warming up. So much different to the ND5X2 I had on demo for a week.

The Qutest is staying!

6 Likes

Cool! Replacing the hicap with the dr version will add even more air / detail. Sometimes you can go back to the internal dac of the SN for pure slam / fun.

1 Like

Annoyingly the Quest has introduced an earthing hum! Damn it.

If I switch to battery power (via a power bank) it’s gone…need to work out how to solve this! A quick search has shown it’s a common problem an earthed source is not in the loop.

Do you have another source connected to the Supernait? Naim amps are earthed through the source, and that should be through only one source to prevent ground loops.

In the end I always used a power bank with the Qutest when I had it but when I did use the power supply, I also had some hum from the SN2.

But, you can make an earthing/grounding cable that connects to an rca / coaxial socket of the Qutest.

Basically, all you have to do is remove the neutral and live pins leaving just the earth one in a normal three pin plug. Then use some lightweight twin core flex and use only one core connected to the earth pin and the other end of that core soldered to the centre pin of an old rca cable. Now, if you connect the one pin plug (earth pin only) into a mains socket and the other end of the rca plug into the coaxial socket of the Qutest, you will no longer have any hum.

I made one from an old extension lead. And worked a treat with the ND5 XS2 I used to have.

Or 82 Hicap 250. Will sound better than SN3 or 202 200. Equivalent of 282 Hicap 250 at bargain price. £2500 for the three. I think widening horizons and look at what you can do with vintage Naim pays dividends.

And with a service they will sound amazing.

Pretty much what I have done and have built my system with a mix of old and new. All working in cymbiosis!

1 Like

Just checking… shouldn’t that be connected to the shell (outer) of the rca?

I personally connected it to the centre and it worked fine.

Edit… just checked the cable and it was the centre pin I soldered to the flex.

which I think I now own!

Excellent… I loved that DAC… if it is the same one… it’s what started me on the TT2/Mscaler journey. I wanted to keep it and use it with the TV but the better half wasn’t up for a large pair of speakers in the living room!

Hope you’re enjoying it as much as I did!

Edit… just checked the sales info and it’s a different name so might not be mine after all.

If it kills the hum fine, but I think the idea is to connect signal ground to mains ground in one place only as per Naim’s design.

This thread may be relevant…

I’d suggest you should leave the live and neutral pins in the plug too, just not connected. If you don’t, it’s possible to put the plug in upside down, which will open the safety shutters in the socket and expose the live contacts.

Yes, stopped it straight away. I was using optical at the time… if I remember correctly, I first made up the cable for when I had a Bluesound Node 2 which did the same thing.

I assume an iFi Audio GroundHog+ will do exactly what you are suggesting?

I have one other source connected, Rega PR6 via Stageline. The RP6 doesn’t use a ground cable, I believe it is done via RCA.

I’ve not read the whole thread, but SN1 owner here (driving S600s). The removal of the DAC means that a simple update is not possible. I’ve had mine 12+ years. Not interested in vinyl, but using a couple of digital inputs. SN4 to have a DAC? Yes please. Absolutely and utterly uninterested in the laughably-named UPnP world of twonky streaming (“universal”? “plug-and-play”? Spare me.).

It looks like it should… in a lot more professional way than I described :joy: If you can pick one up through a 14-30 free returns that would be good… just in case.

A wire connecting the grounding pins should be sufficient and take the hum away.

I like din connections for the automatically included grounding :slight_smile:

But hey, I’m a Naim convert …

1 Like

And Chord support and promptly answered my question and suggested one of these. image