Contrived audiophile terminology

Nothing wrong with the Bigglesbox 5000!

6 Likes

I understand that there are only so many ways to describe a piece of kit in a review, I find myself irritated when the the phrase “suitably talented” pops up. It skips past the details and context of the reviewers system when they judged the review item. As in “this amplifier will sound good with suitably talented speakers”. It tells you bugger all.

2 Likes

Language is a tricky thing, We say or write down a string of words that we intend to express what we are thinking and or feeling. However, when another hears or reads them they create their own meaning to the string of words. Sometimes there is enough agreement between the speaker and the listener to give an unambiguous understanding of the intended meaning. Often and especially when describing subjective concepts, the listener’s interpretation of the meaning can be very different to that intended. Which makes giving accurate and definite descriptions of something like sound quality rather difficult. Yet the same process does mean that we can create our own meaning to song lyrics.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but one of my favourite hifi magazines ‘What Hifi’ is one of the worst for this ‘language’ it makes me smile and cringe at the same time!

3 Likes

Totally agree…they reviewed some magic potion made by Chord some time ago…Ohmic something or other…that you wipe over your connection terminals and mains plugs. Totally over the top contrived adjectives asunder.

2 Likes

That is some serious money snake oil!

1 Like

Almost all expressions used to describe ‘the sound’ of something, as used on any hifi forum.

1 Like

The BigglesBox 5000 is more Hi-Fi, but the older 4000 is more musical…

4 Likes

You can actually hear the knife point going into the keyboard and Keith farting into his Y-Fronts as he stands on the Hammond to rock it back and forth as the smoke machine starts to belch over Palmer’s four-square drumming “technique”…

1 Like

No, because it gives an idea of in what way it sounds better before. One could say it is clearer or has greater clarity, however the veil being lifted conveys more than that, as music can become clearer without a feeling that it was veiled before.

2 Likes

:shushing_face:

2 Likes

I don’t get the term ‘talented’ at all

1 Like

Pace
Rhythm
Timing

Roger

2 Likes

When I was young, I was mute to music.

When I was older, I thought I’d be cute and bought a Qute.

I was awakened.

Then I dreamed of reaching the stars and bought a Star.

The Star was like night and day.

When I was older again, I felt an itch.

The itch had to be scratched, there was a fog in front of the Star and it wasn’t a Nova.

I bought a 282/200. The veil was lifted.

The veil wasn’t lifted.

But the fog had thinned. I bought a 252/300.

The darkness was gone. The veil was truely lifted.

I wasn’t satisfied.

I was almost broke.

It had to be done, 555, 552, 500, a DR they said.

The veil was lifted. I was broke.

SWMBO left the house, I showed her the door. My jaw hit the floor.

I was awakened.

My obsession had finally abated.

Then I heard, “there is a Statement”.

18 Likes

I often find the spirits raised in the listening group seance like to share the experience.
They are usually good natured. Although there is the odd one that likes to randomly spook and haunt.

1 Like

Worth a nod to the fact that we’re all guilty to greater or lesser degrees of that very same cliche bollocks that drives us nuts.

To anyone who thinks they are not, I’d recommend reading your own post history. Again, the old forum would have been good here had it’s search function worked.

5 Likes

Or … It almost made The Beatles tolerable …

2 Likes

As a layman, lifted veils, air, holographic, liquid are all terms I find quite relatable. I’m sure there are more specific, technical terms that could be used but to present a general idea they work for me.

1 Like

I’ve spent a small fortune and they still haven’t got better

2 Likes

The absence within any magazine review I’ve ever read which states something akin to ’ this product is pants, do not buy it - consider xx instead’.

2 Likes