Contrived audiophile terminology

I bet he doesn’t believe in Father Christmas.

These speakers have me listening to my music collection all over again .

Ugh :weary:

2 Likes

This dac is easily 90 % of the more expensive dac .

What the hell does that mean ?

It means it’s not as good!

2 Likes

Yes, a pointless attempt to put a numeric quantity on a comparison.

Say " not quite as good " then.

But what is ‘good’?

What is 90% of a subjective opinion?

1 Like

I think they both don’t say much :blush:

Better say ‘i don’t like it as much’ perhaps.

Majority of audiophile reviews rarely do.

I can understand that - not just for speakers. In my early days, when I was moving from fairly rubbish kit to much better kit, I found that I was listening to things I hadn’t listened to for some time, going through my collection, and enjoying it at a level I hadn’t before.

1 Like

Serious or critical listening.

What :flushed:?

2 Likes

“Serious, critical listening” = “With slippers”.

4 Likes

Or in my case, repositioning the speakers and a seat in a non general room friendly way!

On an ad I saw for a used 250 recently the naim sound was descrbed as ‘earthy’ - eh, what, pardon???

1 Like

As in flat?

Flat or round either way its meaningless :grin:

Earthy = Has a fat bottom. :sob:

Ooooh err Matron :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Now that is the phrase I find really irksome. How can I piece of audio recording replay equipment be more musical… Another irritating phrase is lowering the noise floor… really, have you measured it? I suspect the noise floor is not lowered at all in the vast majority of cases which refer to this nonescence.

I agree language can be tricky, and I guess the vocabulary is evolving here… but the main thing that I find irritating are the cliches and laziness.
Now if one described a particular recording and what you noticed or felt specifically about it with a new piece of recording replay equipment that would be far more useful.

For me it’s about being able to communicate a recording as faithfully as possible to suit my tastes… recordings are very compromised things, just like audio replay chains… so personal preference and taste becomes dominant… hence why describing how you enjoy or appreciate a recording more would be more useful than wittering on about musical veils and lower noise floors… which are effectively meaningless…

Now I hope I am not guilty myself, but I have tried to define an assessment noun… the ‘Mandelbrot effect’ … meaning the ease one can listen into and appreciate the elements of a recording… for me this a key part of the enjoyment of recording replay… it’s like dissecting snap shots in time.

1 Like