Controlling Qb2 from Mac (or PC)?

What’s the best way to control a Qb2 from the desktop, i.e. Mac (or PC)?

I used to use BubbleUPnP on an older Synology NAS with DSM6.2 and Linn Kazoo. Now I’ve migrated to DSM7, but this OS is not supported by BubbleUPnP anymore.

For now, I’m using the Qb2’s webclient. But is there a dedicated MacOS app from Naim?

You can use any upnp software eg jriver media center. It wont control the qb, but you can play music to it as a upnp endpoint.
If you want to change settings, use the naim app for ipad/iphone/android.
I suppose theres possibly an android emulator that might work, or the ios app can run on an m1 mac. NAIM iOS app runs on new M1 Mac

I use JRiver as well, can’t you control the streamer from the software? I’ve always been able to do so with my NDX 2. So I just need to decide whether to use JRiver or the Naim app.

There don’t seem to be many UPnP control points out there. JRiver looks capable, although a bit much for me, I don’t need all the video capabilities. Apart from JRiver most Mac control points seem to be outdated or otherwise limited (List of UPnP AV media servers and clients - Wikipedia).

Perhaps I’ll stay with the webclient. Or downgrade my NAS, there seem to be some hacks to achieve that.

You can install BubbleUPnP Server on a Synology NAS running DSM7, but you need to use Docker to do it. There are clear instructions on the BubbleUPnP Server web page. It takes less than 5 minutes to set it up and it works fine for me with my DS220+ and my Atom and Muso Qb1.

Roger

If it’s a newer Mac you can just install the Naim App

1 Like

That also works but needs a Mac with an M1 or M2 chip, so needs to be Nov 2020 or later.

Roger

I’ve tried this, but my Synology has an ARMv7 CPU and for ARMv7 there are no Docker packages. There are some hacks to install Docker manually, but those binaries seg’faulted, so I didn’t continue with this.

My MacBook still has an Intel processor but a new MacBook is an option for next year.

That’s a shame. The only other possibility I can think of is to run Bubble Server on another device on your network, but ideally you’d want this on 24/7 so probably not very convenient.

The possibility of a Mac OS app has been raised before on other threads but more or less ruled out by Naim.

Roger

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.