Core 2.5.2 update

If anyone is having any issues seeing network drives after the update, then first please ensure you have restarted the Core. Then if you wait for a while, the Core will eventually rediscover the network drives. However, it may take a little while.

Naim are working on making this process quicker for the next release.

TNC , if you are still experiencing issues, please contact Naim support, giving as much detail as you can on the problem. Thanks.

1 Like

I just did the update, restarted the App, factory reset the Core, restarted the router, pulled the plug on the Core. Downloads folder is gone from PC (Laptop), the Core is back under Windows Media player again. Aargghh!,now to try and remember how I fixed this last time?

From what Naim have said, I think the answer is just give it some time (hours maybe?) and the Core will sort itself out.

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks David, hope you are right. I just restarted my laptop too, nothing changed yet.

Naim said you donā€™t need to restart anything except the Core. Anyway good luck and I will be interested to hear what happens.
Best

David

Great advice David,

Iā€™m intriguedā€¦will you be tackling the mammoth job of the remaining half bottle of wine!!!

My wife already did that!

2 Likes

So, I have the same problems of access to the download folder after the 2.5.2 update.

Updated yesterday afternoon, and it did not go particularly smoothly. After update and reboot, the Core sat with the power switch LED flashing for half an hour, before I gave up waiting and pulled the power out.

On power up, it appeared ok from the front panel LEDs, but I could not see the core on the network. I had it set with a static IP before the update, and that IP was no longer pingable. Checked my DHCP logs to see if it had reverted to wanting a dynamically assigned IP, ut there was no sign of it showing there. Powered off the core, the switch it is connected to and the router/dhcp that the switch connects to and powered all back up. No change, still no sign of the Core on the network. My NAC-272 that is connected to the same switch came back up ok and fully reachable, so definitely a problem with the Core update.

Resorted to factory reset, when it did then re-appear on the network with a dynamically assigned IP, set the name / static ip /music store & scheduled backup, and everything seemed to rebuild it self.

Today (just now so 22 hours later) went to add something to the downloads folder from my Win 10 PC, but the save drive map I had on there not working, so removed the map and re added it, but I am getting the same errors as previously mentioned, in that there is no response from the core. I can also now see the core as a ā€œdeviceā€ on the network (which i did not before) and I can browse the files on the music store, but I can not find the downloads folder.
Conversely on my Mac desktop, I can see the device but that will not let me browse (which did work before), I get a connection refused message on the mac.
I know it is seeing the core as it is now, as I did not use the same name as before.

So currently I have no external access to the downloads folder on the core to be able to add/remove content.

Any suggestions on fixing his?

Or - how can I downgrade to the older firmware that did work ? (well work as in I could see the downloads folder from windows but not browse music store - but that was good enough for me)

regards
Kevin

Itā€™s been more than a day since I did the update and itā€™s still not working. Still shows ā€œno drives connected.ā€ How many more hours does it need before it works?

1 Like

I think we are all unsure about this because we didnā€™t see it during beta testing.

I suggest that you should all report the issue to Naim support, who may be able to help or at least will feed back to the developers that there is an issue that needs fixing quickly.

Incidentally I think that there are two different things being reported. One is the Core not seeing network drives and the other is the Core declining connections from PCs/Macs on the network. Maybe the same bug is responsible for both issuesā€¦

Best

David

Luckily for me update very smooth all done within 10 mins. No obvious issues or glitches.
My core runs an internal SSD music library and no issues with folders. Hope those with an issue get Naim customer support resolving their problems soon.

I had the same issue. It was resolved by restarting / rebooting the Core. All back to expected behavior again.

Hi all,

Well my system has been down for four weeks whilst the lounge was having a fireplace etc fitted.
Put my system back togetherā€¦no gym membership required if your a Naim user!!

Initially i thought wow, that sounds good. Then the updates appeared for the 555 and Core. Sweaty palms timeā€¦ok, lets updateā€¦wowā€¦smooth as. Core even found my shares on the NAS. I am unsure why youā€™re having issues. I would go back to basics, network settings firewall etc. I by no means to sound disrespectful only to say youā€™re in good company as there are many mighty fine wise and experienced Naim users round these parts who i am sure will help to get you back on track.

1 Like

I wonder what this long awaited update has really brought. If not for any metadata editing function, can we ask for the possibility to selectively delete imported files? :sunglasses:

Chag -

1 Like

The main thing it brought was to fix a problem where most Rovi lookups could fail. This may not have been important for pop and rock music, but for classical music, running the beta for several months, my Core went from finding metadata on newly-released classical albums from maybe two in five before the update to maybe 19 in 20 after the update. So for classical music listeners itā€™s a big one.

Best

David

Tank you for the reminder David, point taken. I am a classical music listener and indeed could relate to the issue. I would really like however, to have some minimum functionality for metadata editing and not only have to rely on an external library manager software.

Chag -

Thanks for pointing that out David. I have been trying it on some of my more recalcitrant albums and it is finding them all so far.

Chag it would be worth making the point to Naim using the feedback option in the app. I donā€™t think that at the moment Naim thinks there is anything wrong with the metadata editing, a commonplace sign that few of the software developers listen to classical music! I would have thought itā€™s quite obvious that you need to be able to edit any field that you can search in!

But if you mean metadata editing of the downloads folder, then that is a big deal and I have previously been told that it would be impossibly complicated because of the uncertainty associated with what might be put in the downloads folder. But the guy who told me that has moved on soā€¦

Best

David

So I got the email a couple of days ago or soā€¦and have been checking in the core app to see if it is ready to update yetā€¦and as of today, still says ā€œup to date on 2.5.1ā€ when I search new
Now going on what has been said alreadyā€¦maybe Iā€™m best off NOT updating even if I could
Also ā€¦ though I was a beta tester (for the core) and other thingsā€¦but guess I slipped through the net on this release?

If you were a beta tester then you probably still have the setting for beta release, which could be why you canā€™t see a release.

So go to Setup (the gearwheel) in Core in the app, select ā€œUpdate sourceā€ and then select ā€œreleaseā€ and OK out of it. Restart the app (by swiping it off and reselecting). You should now have the Core telling you there is an update. You may need to restart the Core to see the update, but I never found that necessary personally
Best

David