Cricket

Mind you our football team conspired to lose 4-0 to Hungary last night :frowning:

1 Like

Bruce,

I use ‘pub’ in the widest ‘family pub’ terms i.e. the ones where you can sit outside and see great vistas, whether these be landscapes and/or sport. It was great to see such a mix of crowd in which, arguably, did more for a Test cricket audience than The 100 has so far(?).

1 Like

I just watched the highlights of day 5 - utterly brutal batting by Bairstow and Stokes

We’d better hope a few more of our batters get into the IPL!

Credit to England I certainly wouldn’t have thought they win after NZ posted a good first innings.

Is there a 3rd test?

1 Like

now that was embarrassing

3rd test starts next Thursday - astonishing finish to a great test match. NZ though seem to have gone off the boil since deservedly winning the test chamionship.

3 Likes

I understand so. There are three teams playing Test Cricket against England in England this year .

New Zealand, South Africa and one match carried over from last year against India

Lots of justified euphoria but the match was played on a road. I’m not sure that England would prosper on a pitch offering something to the bowlers - the batting still looks brittle to me…

Agreed, fundamentals still need to be addressed

England bowlers have no pace. Need at least one.

Agreed re the batting, and this match could have been so much different if both sides had taken their catches.

It’s clear that England need assistance from home wickets & conditions to bowl teams out for reasonable runs and, arguably, they need easy/easier batting conditions to score runs e.g. as happened to some extent in the 4th innings at Lord’s.

Hopefully England will continue to play with their dedicated 'keeper who, to my eyes, is so much better than the ‘make do’ solutions employed the last few years. Also good to see that Lees did well and appears to have ceased going walkabout across the face of his stumps.

1 Like

They have several, but they are all injured.

Bruce

We’ve plenty of pace when they’re off the injured list. What we lack is a decent spinner and an opener to partner lees.

Tuffers said at one point on TMS that Trent Bridge is the only Test ground with a pub, as opposed to a bar, within its curtilage.

1 Like

On commentary at one point they said that Sobers and Hadlee have waiting rooms named after them in the Radcliffe Road stand, somehow that seems a bit underplayed for the great all-rounder knights. Given the many anecdotes about Sir Garry maybe they could rename the pub after him.

2 Likes

I subscribe to Willow, a cricket channel here in the US. They do show IPL matches, and I’ve watched them as work permits. Have also seen many BBL and PSL matches on willow. Can’t deny that the T20 format can be quite entertaining.

Willow’s target audience appears to be viewers from the Sub-Continent, so I couldn’t see the ENG- NZ test because a SA-IND T20 was on at the same time. They are the only cricket channel available here, so not much chance of seeing an ENG match if one of SL, PAK, AfG, BD or IND is playing.

They do show highlights, which I’m hoping to catch.

2 Likes

Our cricket channel runs several stations and we the England v NZ on one and the Aussies v SL on the other only problem is it’s late/early here.

1 Like

I hope you can catch it, the Bairstow innings was spectacular

Won’t stop :stop_sign: the carpers and moaners .

We’re good at that,

2 Likes

I believe Isha said they were more lobbies to the lavatories. Not very edifying, if true!