Cricket

As is Joe Root’s shot choice!

1 Like

Crawley just doesn’t look test standard. Lees on the other hand looks the most promising opener since Cook retired from test cricket.

1 Like

Kumar Sangakkara has just suggested Buttler as opener. Would certainly be entertaining.

2 Likes

I heard that but I think he has said he doesn’t want to play Tests any more.

Bruce

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A very weary last hour or so from NZ.

Bruce

1 Like

An emotional moment or two this morning at Taunton. Wickets for debutantes Issy Wong and Lauren Bell. Both of these ladies started cricket on the chance to shine programme. The whole team seems to be enjoying the Test experience.

5 Likes

Blimey, after a delayed start to post lunch, this isn’t going past tea is it?!

I wonder if Bairstow will prevent Root from getting his ton?

1 Like

Right, can you give Joe Root the strike for a bit now…?

TMS getting serious. Click on link.

1 Like

Boo, just one hour of cricket.

Quite remarkable. :grinning:

Just relentless.

There are still a fair few questions about various aspects of this team but they are confident and positive and for now at least they are surfing that wave.

Bruce

1 Like

A bit of Yorkshire grit gets us there. :grinning:

1 Like

3-0 very satisfactory, but still a number of areas to work on- openers, quick bowlers and injuries

For sure.

Whilst Potts consistently impressed he isn’t really quick enough to take the new ball on many pitches, especially abroad. At least he appears durable for now.

I am not sure any of the injured quicks are due back this season though.

Crawley has been given another chance v India. Billings as injury/illness cover for Foakes. No other squad changes.

NZ ultimately a bit disappointing. Apart from the exceptional Mitchell/Blundell and ever energetic Boult they were a bit undercooked and underpowered. India will be a sterner test you would imagine.

Bruce

1 Like

Yep, I do wonder though how England will view this, as a ‘one off’ or the opportunity to level the series?

Either way I suspect that Stokes will continue to try and accentuate the positive, with maybe slightly less swashbuckling? I feel you’ve got to know your enemy and while NZ were clearly punch drunk, India will be in a different state of mind. Root I guess will remain the grounded lieutenant which will be a key factor.

1 Like

We mustn’t lose sight of:

1- the NZ team were very underpowered from having lost Jamieson, and Bracewell looked a club-level spinner, duly picked apart on a good batting track. Plus the top order are missing Taylor now.

2- the wickets in all matches have played very well in to the latter days, unlike some at the likes of Lord’s, where batting on D4/5 (even earlier) has been challenging due to erratic bounce, ergo the likes of Bairstow can play their ODI-style game…and once the field spreads and runs are accumulated carefully (i.e. simply not holing out), the profile of the game can change quickly.

3- watching the post match I/V with McCullum, I like his personal values and the confidence he instils. Unquestionably, under Root/previous management, there was a ‘fear of failure’ approach and far too much management consultant speak IMV.

Interesting to hear BM say something along the lines of ‘we’ve selected players because we know they’re good enough and if they fail that’s on us’.

It’s all refreshing but I wonder if several players have been flattered by these events, perhaps like England’s slip fielding in the first match when they bagged everything, which only went downhill thereafter.

Funny game this cricket.

3 Likes

I agree with all that but confidence is a vital ingredient for a side and it is visibly returning. I don’t think the Mccullum method probably has a huge lifetime but if he and Stokes are tapping in to the ODI skills and attitude at the moment it will at least give England chances. For several years I just couldn’t see them winning a single Test match.

Maybe another potential positive is making young players want to play red ball, and eventually Test cricket. That pendulum had swung too far in terms of the rewards of white ball here, hence the paucity of selection options.

Bruce

2 Likes

As we both know ye olde cricket observation:

‘it’s 4 in the book, it doesn’t matter how it got there!’. Same with winning.

2 Likes

Or as we say here. 'Read it in t’Herald.

Bruce

1 Like