Cricket

Enjoyed watching/listening to the Women’s Test Match today.

2 Likes

Day one of the test between Sri Lanaka v Aus, SL bowled out for 212 at stumps Aus 98/3 on a spinning wicket.

Wrong time of day for me…

I do realise that but I’m just keeping the thread a little more international and a little more relevant to all members. :smirk:

Pete - as being relevant perhaps for all members, we have this going on.

I must admit I’m very conflicted in watching some of the play, as there are some great shots and the bowlers are getting movement and swing (too much in truth) but the overall standard isn’t great to my eyes.

1 Like

I think woman’s cricket has come a long way, we normally watch the T20 and limited overs games. The tests can become a little tedious (so can the mens at times).

Also doubt they’ll be any cricket in Sri Lanaka today there’s about a foot of water over the ground and the sight screens have been blown down.

1 Like

Quite. However coverage in the UK is all but nonexistent. Which is quite depressing.

BBC sport website is usually quite reliable for at least some reference, however three of the top four stories are about Eng women’s test, one a preview of Eng vs Ind and the others miscellaneous stories, which happen to include just the Aus vs SL scorecard and that’s it.

1 Like

Hence why I posted the scores.

Aus need 5 runs to win the first test v Sri Lanka, SL bowled out in the 2nd innings for 113.

As a contest , if it wasn’t for my Facebook feeds (somehow Cricket from Australia features ) I wouldn’t know it was happening - and the extraordinary one day series

A bit surprising as we have a dedicated cricket channel on Sky that sometimes struggles for fresh material

We have a cricket only channel that shows just about everything and opens up another channel if there’s 2 or more games clash. A cricket tragic’s paradise.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Potts has now added Kohli to Williamson (3x) as his Test victims. What a start to a career!

England making use of winning the toss.

Bruce

Getting interesting…no spoilers.

Not liking the wicket much though.

Shame this isn’t being played at OT, where it was originally scheduled.

Good start, least it means they’ll be a result.

Is there something wrong with the balls, think I’ve seen more complaints about them being out of shape in the last few months than I’ve seen for years.

Not a good advert with the need to change the ball after ~35 overs, especially when it hasn’t been hammered about the ground. It does seem odd that the Duke ball isn’t surviving very long, and I don’t think it’s due to the modern bats or the wicket, which doesn’t look hard and/or abrasive.

I’ll keep an eagle eye out for comment in the media over here.

p.s. there was a piece in the (UK) Daily Mail suggesting that something in the production process and/or the raw materials may have changed, perhaps due to changed practices & processes arising from Covid. Nothing appears to have emerged yet – although I suspect some teams may be seeking refunds?

There has been a suggestion that the guy who used to make the balls retired, and that his replacement is not sewing the seams tight enough.

It has been mooted that the ICC will now make the kookaburra balls standard for all tests in the future.

I thought it may have been the more aggressive style of batting and the heavier (larger) bats that everyone’s using these days.

1 Like

Broad v Bumrah (with bat in hand) – only one winner there. No spoilers.

Watch the highlights tonight (in UK).

India have scored at 4.9(ish) per over.

2 Likes