Cricket

After losing a wicket with the 2nd ball this morning Aussies rap up the 3rd test by 9 wickets in under 3 days.

Win confirms the Aussies qualify for the World Series, India will most likely be their opposition.

Crikey – wasn’t expecting a 9W win. Meanwhile, England are playing another ODI v Bang, and have started OK batting, with the team – one might suggest Messrs Roy and Vince need runs today.

• Jason Roy
  • Phil Salt
  • Dawid Malan
  • James Vince
  • Jos Buttler(c)(wk)
  • Will Jacks
  • Moeen Ali
  • Sam Curran
  • Adil Rashid
  • Saqib Mahmood
  • Mark Wood

It’s a bit odd I’m not getting any coverage of this game, my provider (Fox) normally shows all internationals.

It appears you can stream for free from the ECB website – it’s on Sky here. I know the rights were very late being sold – I think some broadcasters didn’t want to cover it at the $ suggested, so held out until late-on/declined?

1 Like

Mrs Pete happy the test finished we can now what the first game of the footy season (Aussie Rules pre season).

Update: Judging by the way the track in Bangladesh is playing, Buttler’s decision to bat first looks a good one. The ball is already turning sharply (~15 overs), with some erratic bounce.

I think Buttler lost the toss so Bangladesh’s decision to bowl first. Good to see Roy taking over the Malan role.

Thought it’s time to put facts in front of wishes.

You’re right :grin: …I thought Sky said Buttler decided to bat.

Certainly a tricky wicket albeit slow, where the batsmen have to use good technique (inc move their feet) to score runs. Buttler, perhaps using his IPL experience, is looking good too.

Pete, that’s the old list based on boredom.
I think the new list based on entertainment has England firmly at number 1!:wink:

1 Like

Of course you do :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Saqib Mahmood back for England today after stress fracture. Great for him as he broke down injured just as breaking through into the squads.

Good win for England today, Bangladesh at home not easy in this format. Roy may be inconsistent but he does win you games when it comes off. Vince on the other hand… Doubt he keeps a place when they have the full squad availabl.

Great comeback by Australia in their Test series. Wierd game from looking at the scorecard anyway.

Bruce

2 Likes

I thought England did very well to get a very decent score on a turning wicket, albeit helped by having a long batting line-up and some poor bowling towards the end, which Sam Curran duly dispatched. Sadly, Vince’s confidence & mentality at international level looks shot (again). He never looked confident against the spin (for the short time he was in). Roy’s innings was inventive and, for him, patient – he had one go at playing across the spinner and was fortunate not to get out like in game 1. After that warning, he stuck to sweeping.

The defining knock was played by Buttler IMHO. England were in uncertain territory when he came in and he looked very much at ease with the spin. A bit of consolidation was needed and he and Moeen did that.

As you say a good win where others have faltered.

4 Likes

Yes it was a weird game the India commentators were also weird they started off defending the pitch but towards the end had changed their minds. Funny that.

From an Aussie perspective (and something you guys might be concerned by) it’s great to see two young spinners emerge. They should also play well in England.

1 Like

As a cricketing matter, I’ve been following the ECB’s pursuit of Michael Vaughan (and others), which I find utterly bizarre. The burden of proof involved, as a civil matter, is truly scary given the implications for those charged by the cricketing authorities.

I’m not usually a great fan of Oliver Brown’s articles in the DT, but he’s pretty much on point with this one IMO – and the level of resource and expense involved, with MV alone, is truly scary…and to what end?

ECB’s investigation has been conducted by Keystone Cops (telegraph.co.uk)

1 Like

Match 3 of the ODI series v Bangladesh has started – England to chase and Bangladesh looking below their best so far. I’m unclear as to where the crowd is, as to say it’s looking sparse, is an understatement. As expected, a slow wicket.

Good that Ahmed playing (he was ill earlier in the Tour). He may have gone for some runs but he is very inexperienced. England obviously want him to get opportunities.

1 Like

Looking like a good game for England to win. Vince and Curran at the crease - an unlikely combo? Time for Vince to get a score.

Not a great performance. Still a good series win.

There’s always going to upsets in the shorter form on a positive note Archer continues his return taking 3 wickets for 35 runs.

Does England have any test matches before the Ashes?