Cricket

From an English perspective, fielding in front of The Hill at the SCG wasn’t the most comfortable experience – folklore has it that many of the beer cans thrown at players hadn’t been emptied beforehand :grin: …must have been the Foster’s!

But, yes, good natured badinage is OK and, IIRC, Warner played to the crowd a bit last time and was respected for it. Compared to football games here, it was mild.

I’m not fan of bad behaviour from either side however I certainly don’t mind good humoured crowd participation. Some of the funny things I’ve heard were at sporting events. I definitely don’t like it when it turns personal or aggressive.

I was at the SCG the day Phil Tufnull dropped a sitter, the crowd gave him hell for the rest of the tour. What I saw and heard was light hearted and very funny he took it extremely well.

2 Likes

Pete

Todd Murphy not a name I know. Is he Lyon’s backup? Also only four front line bowlers, although maybe a couple in reserve playing in Counties

Best hope that the fast boys stay fit. I reckon Boland might be a big player for Australia this summer though, his sort of conditions maybe.

Bruce

Seems Todd has heaps of potential both he and Scott may have a big impact on a game or two. However it’s more likely that the big 3 plus Lyons will anchor our attack.

“Oi, Tuffers, lend us your brain, we’re building an idiot.”

No didn’t hear that, it was Merv Hughes type of thing where the crowd on the hill imitated the drop catch.

Very worrying. The thought of having to watch months of meaningless one dimensional Micky Mouse Cricket is depressing. ( No offence to Disney).

3 Likes

Very worrying but I don’t think it’ll happen in my life (I hope).

Meanwhile the war of words have started with both England and Australian players lobbying verbal hand grandes.

1 Like

I read that Ollie Robinson bowled Steve Smith in the nets. Caused great amusement.

1 Like

Apparently Broad said the 4/0 zip lost to Aus last Ashes didn’t count due to Covid restrictions. They must lay in bed of a night dreaming up stuff to throw out.

Also I’m reading that the English team want the boundary ropes brought in to make bazzball even more interesting. I don’t have any problems with that as long as they’re not moved back out when we bat. :grin:

1 Like

What a great idea.!!

3 Likes

I’m sure someone’s already thought of it.

If they are wanting to make a success from The Hundred, they need the Indian big hitters like Dhoni and Kohli .

I love what it’s done for family friendly cricket :cricket: and women’s cricket :cricket:.

But it seems very unloved in certain quarters.

1 Like

I’m not a huge fan of the short formats. They seem to have removed the thinking and strategy out of the game it’s just hit and bash. Imo it’s the equivalent to getting dinner from McDonalds.

1 Like

I don’t mind the 100 if you accept it as a cricket based evenings entertainment and it does get youngsters involved.
I find the 50 over game extremely boring as it’s really a 20 over game stretched out by an additional 30 overs.

2 Likes

I definitely agree re the 50 overs I used to love them, Allan Borders performance in those games in the early 80s got me hooked on cricket but I just don’t feel the same about them.

1 Like

Cannot post intended link. Cannot remove post.

If the Aussies didn’t think it would help their Ashes chances, they would not be doing it. Wouldn’t happen the other way round. ECB being dim/stupid etc.

“A regal unbeaten 170 from Marnus Labuschagne lit up Headingley as the Australia batter put Yorkshire to the sword.” BBC.

1 Like

Sure we would :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t see the issue. County red ball is a long way from Test cricket I would imagine. It benefits from overseas players adding a bit of quality.

Aus v India Test final precedes the Ashes. England will warm up against Ireland. Now that does seem daft to me when key players such as Root, Stokes etc are playing IPL, or rather sitting in the stands.

I note Bairstow has played for Yorks and fit enough to keep wicket but Archer not playing anywhere and has had another minor ‘procedure’. I fear his Ashes contribution may be slight.

Bruce

2 Likes