Cricket

Can’t see England getting any batting practice in the second innings.

Joe Root currently bowling absolute buffet.

I can hear you guys crying from 12,000kms away. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Stuart Broad will be distraught.:rofl::rofl::rabbit2:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Wow, I went out at half 10 this morning for a walk, got back at 4, flicked on Sky Cricket to see how quickly England had wrapped up the Ireland innings, and Ireland were 5 ahead. Nice to see they fought hard in the 2nd innings…

3 Likes

Great, hoping you are improving ?

Best wishes

Ian

Heading the right way thanks Ian, gaining weight slowly and steadily, and stamina is improving, today’s walk was 9.5 miles with 550m of climb.

1 Like

Wowzer, that is serious walking

I have put on so much weight since CV19

1 Like

Had a great day at Lord’s yesterday. Arrived expecting it to be over by lunch. Some fun batting and real spirit from Ireland - they were getting great support especially after lunch!

Lord’s was looking great.

Only snag was, because the match finished later than we all expected, we got caught up with the FA Cup crowds on the way home and had to stand the whole way.

3 Likes

I

Is it only me that think laying this out is a bit self indulgent? Certainly pressures the selectors for the games he wants as his goodbyes!

He deserves respect for his cricket, and the crowd should give him an appropriate send off in England. Howl if he goes to Broad for a just few, but stand and applaud if gets big runs. The latter didn’t happen last time for him or Smith and I didn’t care for it.

Bruce

2 Likes

Think we’ve had a similar conversation regarding booing, I hate it. However we don’t have any control over the knuckle heads who imo opinion go to the cricket for all the wrong reasons. Don’t think we’re expecting anything other than the poor response he got last time but it would be nice to see the crowd pay him a little respect.

As for his retirement plans I don’t see anything wrong with it, the selectors now know when he’s going and can plan around it.

Re England v Ireland. What did you think about Englands warm up match, I’d be concerned they maybe a little under done for the first test. They are playing good cricket and maybe there’s enough confidence to make up for match practice.

1 Like

I think England have an attitude with regard to the warm up that is isn’t essential to have had a tough workout. They apparently have a similar view re training etc, sessions are not super intense and can even be optional. No harm in testing a new bowler in Tongue but beyond that not sure what learned. Bairstow moved OK after his fracture but we never saw him bat. Stokes the first Test captain in history to win a Test without batting, bowling or keeping wicket I believe!

Still lots of queries for the first Test re fitness more than anything. If Stokes can’t bowl a stint (or at all) do England risk a three pace plus Leach attack? Anderson and Robinson recently injured, Wood form/fitness unknown.

The selection will be interesting. I think they should put Stokes, Bairstow or Pope in to open in place of Crawley and pick four pace bowlers with Wood or Tongue as one. Bet they don’t!

Pete

Looking forward to India at the Oval? I shall catch a day or so on TV I hope

1 Like

I’m looking forward to it as well. It starts about 8pm and finishes around 2am. Late nights and it’s damn cold as well least I don’t have to worry about work.

Plenty of hot chocolate.

Look forward to your comments during the game.

2 Likes

India in England a lot different to playing them in India. Australia favourites I would imagine, although the Oval isn’t always that seam friendly, and it has been pretty dry and warm too so maybe that evens things up.

Bruce

Certainly a match against India is a better warm up than against Ireland (no offence to any Irish members)

I suspect that it would be much easier to arrange in UK summer than Australian , South African , Sri Lankan or, New Zealand summer

Great stat. Thinking aloud, if Stokes cannot bowl much, England have difficulty in balancing the team. I think Robinson is first bowling pick, I think that Wood or Tongue have to play so you have to leave our either Broad or Jimmy. ( brave or stupid?). Unless conditions are such that you can leave Leach out or don’t need pace. 5 bowlers leaves a scary long tail.
Stokes needs to win a few tosses I feel.

I shall be supporting Oz from Wednesday assuming it is on TV. It may feel like an away game for them in the ground I suspect.

1 Like

Think you’re right there’s more likely to be more Indian expats than Aussies.

1 Like

After yesterday’s dead D3 wicket at Lord’s, I’m wondering if England will be asking the Test grounds-people to get the sprinklers on, as England’s attack looked pretty benign, and Leach was largely ineffective IMHO.

I’m wondering what time in the middle the likes of Bairstow and others will get, as the middle/lower order has been (probably remains?) England’s engine room for runs.

I don’t mind a bit of pantomime boo-ing (all good natured of course) but, as others have said, not when it is laced with Neanderthal invective.

and here is why Leach was ineffective