Cricket

4 x 98 over days I think.

Will be sone tired bowlers if one side gets in and bats long.

Bruce

2 Likes

Good start by England, is Tongue the real deal.

Is this the start of summer? There was a chill easterly this morning, but now Lords looks a picture.

I’m glad that there are highlights on the Beeb, and that Alex Hartley has not given up cricket completely. All is well with the world as Broad takes another wicket.

It’s a shame that Ireland do not get enough opportunities to play Tests and I wish them well, hoping that this one lasts four days.

1 Like

I’ve managed to sync the radio commentary to the TV. An afternoon with my feet up.

3 Likes

Tongue looks a quite good. Not a long run up, an easy high action but the ball comes down quite quickly. He has obviously been told to bowl a load of short stuff today which I don’t think he would do normally. He has bowled accurately with no dross so far. No sign of nerves. He got Steve Smith out a few weeks ago. He plays for Worcestershire in Div 2.

1 Like

Yes but apparently Smith has had a few howlers (bad decisions) that even the English commentators questioned.

It would be good for England to have a good (young) seamer.

Tongue looks OK but I am consistently impressed with Potts. Always ‘at’ the batsmen, seems to surprise batsmen a bit with his pace and gets seam movement. Reminds me of Peter Siddle (and that is a big compliment) and his bustling action is not dissimilar either.

Tongue has kept good pace and not given much away. He is the sort of bowler I think Australians will be used to though; tall, bit of bounce and quick without extreme pace. He looks like a back-up option in the Ashes to me. Not to say he won’t be needed with injuries and rotation etc.

I am more interested how England bat. There isn’t much in this wicket so they should prosper.

Bruce

2 Likes

I have watched Smith’s LBW dismissal by Tongue on Youtube a couple times.

Absolutely Plumb middle stump. ( If the middle stump was moved about a foot more to the leg side). :rofl:

3 Likes

My prediction is that all over by end D3 i.e. England will bat out D3 and achieve a lead of ~300 and Ireland will be out ~160, noting Lord’s wickets only get worse, not better.

Do you mean Ireland :ireland: don’t get enough opportunities?

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

The wicket at Lord’s doing its usual stuff, with uneven bounce at times, little pace and no turn on D2. Sometimes I wonder if this wicket was at another ground, would it be regarded fit for Test cricket?

Looking all too easy for England.

I gather from TMS that the square was relaid over last winter … perhaps it was just resown, judging by the signs of the vertical cutting.

Whatever’s been done to it, I’m struggling to see how this is classified as a Test match, as the Ireland attack is lower Div 2 Championship level (if that). Such a shame, as it devalues and distorts the achievements & records IMHO.

1 Like

You are right, but “smaller” cricketing nations have to start somewhere. With no prospect of development, the best players from Ireland may come and play for England. Morgan, Joyce etc.

I remember in 1985 Bangladesh played a Worcester Pub side. The Lamb and Flag nearly won although they could put out some serious club cricketers.

1 Like

I’m not a slave to convention but rewriting some of the record books with the performances in a match like this, deserve an * being applied. Better still, I’d not overwrite the records and just call it an Eng v Ireland match – but, I suspect, then one gets in to issues of whether it is a bona fide 1st Class match?

Probably like you, I recollect when Sri Lanka were also fodder for the better Test countries (inc. England), and then they weren’t, thanks to their wonderful generation of talent.

3 Likes

We should also be asking if England feel this is good preparation for the Ashes. Australia have a rather more competitive ‘warm up’ fixture

Bruce

2 Likes

True.

( But at least England will be coming off a win) :rofl:

2 Likes

Not sure how useful playing a second tier team (no disrespect to Ireland just a fact) is as a warm up match before an Ashes series. We’ll get a much harder harder task with India next week and think will be to our advantage.

Ben Duckett standing between Crawley and Broad during the anthems.

2 Likes

I think it’s rude that he didn’t least stand for the anthem.

1 Like