Cricket

McDonalds serve about 70 million people each day. Doesn’t mean it is good, just popular.

2 Likes

The guys will need to find another villain as your mate David Warner retired from test cricket at the SCG today. David finished with 57 as Aus cruised to an easy win in the 3rd test and complete a series whitewash against Pakistan.

1 Like

He can always get a job as a pantomime villain :supervillain::man_supervillain: he would make a good Sheriff of Nottingham or a dastardly Baron

Cheers

Ian
PS he’s behind you

1 Like

No his behind you (UK) I actually didn’t mind him.

We’ll T20 you can see all the match in one day, would you go to the theatre for just one act or see a bit of one film?

Other than The Ring Cycle …

1 Like

Ah the job of the pantomime villain is to get as many boos as possible , if he is not being booed and jeered he’s not doing his job properly

An essential role in theatre , David Warner as Baron Sandpaper of Sledge Hill would go down a treat, let us be fair even some Aussies like to sledge him

He would be ideal,

2 Likes

David Warner’s contribution and stats are remarkable. Unfortunately for me he represented a period of Australian cricket that crossed the line in terms of aggression and on-field attitude and behaviour. That era has moved on, and now so has he. I think he was more than the pantomime villain.

Not sure he will slip into the commentary box ? Too divisive perhaps. Mind you they still give KP a job; another very abrasive character.

Bruce

I’m not saying T20 is good but a shift in public support in recent times probably means test cricket unfortunately doesn’t have a viable future.

Sadly, you are probably right. Red ball Cricket is the only format where you have to take wickets to win. An important skill to my clearly old fashioned outlook.

1 Like

I’d say a gritty character and player, who could rub people up the wrong way and certainly cause a lot of friction. Now what does that remind me of? I think in the building and decorating game, they call it ‘naughty 40’.

On the flip side, any English batsmen would be glad to have his stats, which were well earned, and life would be dull without such characters.

As you say, and to corrupt a well known phrase, he’s a villain looking for a pantomime :grin: – and the various T20 leagues provide plentiful opportunity.

2 Likes

Any Aussie player that gets under the skin of the English team and/or English public is generally a hero here. And that’s no different in reverse, it’s just I’m out numbered here. :rofl::rofl:

Thing is Pete, as we all know, until you’ve meet someone personally and spent time with them, you never really know them, and the media portrayal of people is never to be relied upon. Being defined by a few events in life is not a reliable measure. Sadly, many on social media go way beyond banter, which I know the likes of DW have suffered.

I worked with someone who idolised Botham when he was at/near his peak. When he met him at the time, he didn’t take to him at all.

1 Like

So true that’s why I try not to judge players personal life all that interests me is how good they are at their craft.

I agree, hence my comments were about his on-field behavior and persona. I suppose that aggressive style carried into his batting-and made him irresistible to watch at times but I think at other times on field it was something more, and part of an explicit plan by the team and management at the time that has now been disowned (I think) even by the Aussie cricket loving public.

Enough! Bring on the new stars. Shame Pakistan couldn’t be more consistent as you sense that they could have made it a pretty competitive series. Hats off to Cummins throughout the series as ever though. What a bowler.

Bruce

If we’re still talking about Warner (I’m assuming we are) he’s kids love him, his family and friends love him and today the public loved him. Think we tend to judge people by the way the media portray them which is often the opposite.

Changing things here, what I don’t take to in many games now (inc Tests) is how bowlers are celebrating getting wickets. In the SA v India match, after SA were skittled for 55, Burger celebrated like he’d won a competition on adulation when he got a couple of wickets. Dare one say it’s the same with footie.

It seems humility and a sense of proportion, and cognisance of the game position, leaves the building for some players. Next up we’ll have the batsmen waving their arms around after they’ve hit boundaries :crazy_face:

1 Like

My pet hate is when they try to pressure the empires.

1 Like

It is creeping into club cricket as well. A bowler ‘send-off’ for batsmen not a good thing.

Bruce

2 Likes

Hmmm, not good at all and cowardly IMHO … of course, it used to be self-regulated, as any bowler who did this inevitably got a few around their chin when they came to the wicket.

Totally agree , Tom Curran behaved like an idiot prior to the match and got himself suspended yet we see equally bad behaviour on plenty of times including saluting the batsman who has just got out .