Cricket

I’m sure a lot you guys have stayed up late to watch David Warner in his last test. :grin:

Pakistan won the toss and batting first.

Edit. Pakistan 1/0 after 2 balls.

2nd edit 2/4 in the second over :grimacing:

Seems some disgruntled Pakistani baggage handler at Qantas has nabbed Warner’s Baggy Green then….:rofl:

Though must say, baffles me why you wouldn’t keep something like that a bit closer to yourself…more so ahead of your last game!

1 Like

Agreed it’d hardly ever leave my head.

1 Like

Pakistan batteld to 313

More interested to see what happens SA v India which starts shortly. Such a fine SA performance in the 1st Test.

Bruce

Great start for India, SA 11-3. Bowling is tight and giving nothing away.

I love watching cricket at Newlands, went to a one-dayer there over 20 years ago between SA and West Indies.

1 Like

Spoke too soon, SA 15-4!

1 Like

On my all time Top Ten things to do is watch cricket at Newlands .

Still cricket related but changing tack wildly , I see that the Zinger Bails (a really good idea) have been followed on in the BBL by Zinger stumps - oh dear, oh dear

1 Like

My oh my - South Africa 55 all out!

…before lunch.

The Sky team commented the wicket was a tad green with some moisture, so the first hour would be crucial…for once they got it right it seems.

India from 153 - 4 to 153 all out!!

Crazy!! 6 of the team out without scoring.

1 Like

23 wicket day.

I watched the first two innings, some lively variable bounce for a D1 wicket and it seamed all day. Borderline unsatisfactory but not a huge amount of application by batters either.

Bruce

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a bowl on that wicket!!

1 Like

Not sure if the SA v India game is good for test cricket. Everyone wants to see an even match between ball and bat, this test is the total opposite of a T20.

Aussies had Pakistan on the ropes at 227/9 but a fantastic last wicket partnership saw them finish with 313.

Everyone’s favourite player opener David Warner got a standing ovation from the members and a guard of honour from the Pakistan players. He survived a (one has to say a very tame over from a spinner) to be not out at the end of play.

Watched the highlights last evening and the SA’s batsman played some terrible shots to help the Indian bowlers, one of those ‘bad day at the office’ innings, but, as you say, some steepling bounce, pace and plentiful swing & seam brought back reminders of Curtley and Big Bird bowling on some WIndies tracks :scream: , where the ball you went forward to as a defensive ploy ended up chinning you!

This said, both teams appear to have long batting tails (Bumrah at #8!), which helps the party along. It seemed to confuse Sky’s highlights editors, as they appeared to skip showing the first 4 India wickets to go down (unless I fell asleep).

Markram for Player of the Match in a losing cause? His ton was exceptional in the match context.

What a crazy match, the shortest ever with a winner apparently at 642 balls. A shame that this is just a two match series.

SA had to make time for their domestic T20 now and next month of course. So a bad pitch, no series winner, a devalued tour of NZ to follow. More nails in the Test coffin.

Guess it’s just confirming what we all thought, T20 and the quick buck to be made is a huge threat to test cricket.

I’m glad to say that at least for now both the players and public (mostly) here value the traditional test more than any other format.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I think the public value the T20.
I’m surprised at the sparse attendance at some venues around the world for test cricket.

2 Likes