Cricket

Perhaps ‘which format pays you most’ would have been a clearer question?

The Test squad omissions are interesting. Foakes passed over, and no Bairstow. Bashir instead of Leach (or Hartley). I hope Lawrence gets a run in the team, ditto Potts. Ollie Robinson is history.

Obviously Archer not considered durable enough, and no Wood either. A summer of transition, and that is a good thing I think.

Bruce

2 Likes

Bashir is on loan at my local County, Worcestershire. He went “round the park” a bit last week with Dan Lawrence taking him for 38 off an over.

1 Like

Great Stat.

“Between them, Lyon and James Anderson have 1,230 Test wickets, which makes today’s Lancashire XI the side with the most combined Test wickets in history.” BBC online.

3 Likes

Looks like Yorkshire have worked out how to bowl sides out twice! Two wins in a row, although against the bottom two sides in the division. Next game will see if they are serious contenders for promotion against Sussex!

1 Like

What an extraordinary game Glos v Glamorgan. Chasing a world record 593 to win in the fourth innings Glamorgan are all out for 592 on the last ball of the day!!

6 Likes

Yes, an amazing scorecard.

1 Like

1st Test today of the English summer today. Jimmy’s last.

Eng v W Indies at Lord’s

Bruce

1 Like

Think it is Wednesday.

1 Like

Doh! So it is.

Bruce

1 Like

Where’s my mate Bairstow

Busy playing golf probably

1 Like

Off to Lords tomorrow to see the second day of play. Unbelievably it’s forecast to be warm and sunny. :champagne::champagne::champagne:

2 Likes

Probably filling in visa forms for the Big Bash …

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

I am sure that he will be given a warm welcome at the SCG

1 Like

Some debut by Atkinson, what was supposed to be Jimmy’s day .

Lords on an overcast day is a bit different from an awful lot wickets , it looks as if England will be batting at some point today

Lord’s not playing like a Test match quality strip to my eyes.

1 Like

Felt sorry for the WIndies paying on this ground in these conditions ,

1 Like

I heard Alistair Cook describe the pitch as a ‘belter’ but the overhead conditions as tricky. Such is Test Cricket on a humid day in England. The Lord’s slope can be tough for bowlers unused to it too.

I have only seen some quick highlights but nothing to suggest the pitch isn’t Test standard. Maybe the batting isn’t/wasn’t?

Bruce

1 Like

You’ve missed some balls keeping low and bouncing 2x+ on their way to the 'keeper. Yes, there’s plentiful swing, and probably a bit of seam, but earlier on the bounce and pace was a tad irregular.

Lots of runs scored through the 3rd-man region e.g. thick edges, sliced drives et al.

In no way is it a ‘belter’ IMHO.

I promise to watch every ball tomorrow. I am planning a lazy day!

Bruce

@BruceW and @HappyListener - another view on the ‘belter’. The pitch has been covered for a week so it has been drying out as the day progressed, as opined by several commentators on Sky and TMS, who thought tomorrow would be the best day to bat. The odd low bounce also bounced twice by the time it reached da Silva; this might have been due to the way the ball was released by the bowler. It was more of a skidder rather than the pitch misbehaving (IMHO).

1 Like