Cricket

Damn shame the world needs a strong well organised English test team.

2 Likes

With England at 57-5 it’s a good job the West Indies didn’t have a few games before the tests to warm up their bowlers.

2 Likes

No spoilers – but England are doing OK.

2 Likes

Well done England, a very successful and entertaining series. Bazball triumphs again.
I hope Wood holds his form and Archer is able to join him in eighteen months time.:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Wood can be a real challenge for batters, when he gets swing or seam movement at 90+mph only the best can survive him.
And that 2nd innings knock was madness.

3 Likes

England do not appear to play again until August 21. But they play nine matches in September until the 29th. Scratch head!! Surely it’s not to do the “The Hundred?”

2 Likes

Oh, I think it is to do with ‘The 100’, as sponsors et al want to see the England players supporting the ECBs primary franchise (in the eyes of the ECB that is!). I’ve read a bit about the proposed sell-down of some of the franchise interests in ‘The 100’ - and it appears unclear as to precisely what is on offer, as the money on offer to players elsewhere is better (e.g. MLC) and the talent isn’t flocking to it like the IPL.

As @Pete_the_painter has also observed on the TV thread, it’s left a massive chunk of prime Test match time without games, something which wouldn’t have been entertained many years back. Such a shame.

4 Likes

As stated many times, Test Cricket now fights for a place in the Calendar, and generally loses. This summer is just the worst example of that trend.

I just booked first day tickets for Aug 21st at Old Trafford v Sri Lanka. A worrying number still available, and it looked like some at reasonable prices (£53 is cheap for a Test here). Sri Lanka are not necessarily the biggest draw but England are entertaining and I think would usually sell out a series first day at this venue.

Bruce

5 Likes

It is a real shame that Anderson’s last game is not at Old Trafford

So no Anderson or Broad at the next Ashes in Aus.

2 Likes

Correct. Anderson is on the coaching staff now I believe. Broad is settling in with Sky.

2 Likes

In the commentary box I suspect.

Bruce

Ah so just as annoying though :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It was a very low key send-off IMHO – although I understand he remains ‘in camp’ with the team?

As an aside, after Sky’s de-selection of Botham (no loss), Gower (a loss) and Bumble (great loss), I’m liking Stuart Broad’s contributions, and Mark Butcher. Mix those 2 with Bumble as prompter and sometime raconteur, and it would be a good listen (IMHO).

3 Likes

That ship has sailed …

1 Like

Think I read Archer was hoping to be fit for the Ashes, that’d have to be a wish more than a reality wouldn’t it. Surely that boats sunk.

I’m liking Charlie Dagnell, I think a few years ago, he was doing Radio5 Live’s county circuit , also Lydia Greenaway seems highly competent . I agree with your assessments on Botham, Gower and Bumble

My ‘dream team’ would be Bumble and Harsha Bhogle together. I’ve never minded the radio crew on TMS diverting away from cricket matters (chocolate cakes et al), but I prefer the TV crew to stay within the cricket domain.

2 Likes

Anderson is retained as a ‘bowling mentor’.

Broad seemed OK on the analyst role, perceptive but able to avoid framing everything in terms of his own record and career. Pietersen take note…

Bruce

5 Likes

Broad also gives an insight in to modern-day coaching and, sometimes, it seems the dressing room isn’t that removed from a club team dressing room :grinning:

2 Likes