Cricket

Good fight back from WIs, 212/3 is probably much better than most would have expected.

Enjoying the WI fight back - no fun beating up on weak opposition. Test cricket can only benefit from a strong West Indies team.

3 Likes

West Indies have played very well. They’ve played the short ball better than expected which has messed up England’s plan B.
Difficult to see why they made Anderson retire and kept Woakes.

2 Likes

Now this track is a ‘belter’ :grinning:

Delighted to see a proper day of test match cricket. Good bowling and batting and an uncertain outcome. What’s not to like?

3 Likes

Good to see Mooen score a century , sad he didn’t carry his bat

1 Like

Might even go to 5 days. There’s a rarity. The last Test was pretty poor, I am glad to see WIndies competing.

3 Likes

I enjoyed watching the WI doing well yesterday and some excellent batting much of it aesthetically pleasing. Unlike England last year at Lords they played the short ball well. Pulling but avoiding hooking most of the time. Great batting pitch, might be cloudy today though.

There was a lot of talk about the speed gun yesterday when Wood was bowling. I would love to know what exactly they are measuring. The ball is slowing up as soon as it leaves the bowlers hand, it then slows more on bouncing. Are they taking an average between two points? The speed just after it leaves the bowler? No doubt Wood was bowling quickly though.

2 Likes

I didn’t see much but their batting but sure makes the game more interesting.

1 Like

I believe it is now HawkEye rather than the old radar gun that is used. It measures the speed before pitching, I think at release ie the maximum.

Bruce

1 Like

I think the WI number 11 is Lara in disguise. Some amazing shots.

Bet you guys never expected that, looking forward to England having a hit now. Might get interesting as our favourite player Joe Root is a little out of form, be nice to see have a good innings.

I thought Bairstow was your favourite player ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Root just in

That’s a different kind of favourite :wink:

1 Like

Got my free ticket for Trent Bridge tomorrow about 90 minutes ago. Now looking like I may not be using it!

1 Like

What a brilliant days cricket. It would appear we’ve found a decent spinner who goes against the grain as he’s nearer twenty than thirty.

4 Likes

Nice to read

4 Likes

3rd Test starts at Edgbaston today.

A little disappointed that Potts and Pennington don’t get to play with the series won, however that has generally been the way under Stokes and McCullum. They rarely change a winning team.

Bruce

Get they’ll be a lot of competition for air with the Olympics F1 and probably a few other distractions. Why is the test season so damn late and what seems unorganised.

This if of course I’d just my opinion.

Why late? T20WC took precedence in the diary. Test cricket has to fight for space in the Calendar, and generally loses unless it is the Ashes.

Three against Sri Lanka after this. I havrnt looked but might still be tickets. Especially on Day 4/5!

Bruce