Cricket

Zaheer was one of the most elegant and talented batsmen I was ever lucky enough to watch, what a player. Javed was more brutal but still beautiful to watch. And the 2 Ws, what an opening pair. Wasim takes the new ball with Marshall in my dream XI of the players I’ve seen.

3 Likes

The most talented and elegant batsman I ever watched was Barry Richards. The other batsmen of similar elegance were Tom Graveney, Colin Cowdrey, David Gower. Though to my mind, none of these three were as consistent as Richards. My biggest regret was to never see Graeme Pollock in full flow.

2 Likes

Eng v Aus, 2009, Cardiff day one on BBC5SX or online

A pleasant reminder of days gone by on this dreary day …

1 Like

Another fantastic player - saw him in a John Player match live. His forward defensive push went all along the ground for four. I can remember it vividly.

2 Likes

Australia apparently still looking forward to playing England in September. Not sure that’s going to happen.

1 Like

What is the situation with sport restarting down under generally. I realise it is winter.

We have Windies and Pakistan touring teams here now (Test match against Windies next week). County Cricket starting 1st August. That is pretty easy as crowds rare at county matches. Women’s elite cricket due to have some matches too.

No recreational cricket yet though which is frustrating and no date to resume. The ball is considered a potentially dangerous vector.
Bruce

The 2 biggest codes Aussie Rules and The NRL have been back for 3 or 4 weeks. No crowds, however they are allowing crowds of a max of 10ks in the next week or so. Soccer (sorry, we’re a multi code country) and Rugby are back this weekend.

All junior and amateur sport is back this weekend, they’re been training for a few weeks. Cricket is hoping for a September start but really they’re talking October as the most likely.

However all this is at risk as there has been an outbreak in Victoria, which is now virtually cut off from the rest of the country.

The UK is a long way from allowing anything like a crowd of 10k at any event, sporting or otherwise. We are currently allowed to train in groups of 6 max at our cricket club.

Bruce

There are rumours that recreational cricket will commence on the 1st august, along with 1st class games. The format for the latter is yet to be decided.

Here’s a link to a live stream for the warmup match …
https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1703010/watch-live-england-men-intra-squad-match

The format for recreational cricket to return is unknown too. The phrase being used is ‘adapted gameplay’ but noone knows what that actually means. Talk of shorter games although i struggle to see that the risk is less over 20 overs than 45. No cricket teas though I’m sure.

I’m OK, as the 'keeper I have rubber gloves on most of the time!

Bruce

1 Like

There is, of course, the question of whether club bars can open this weekend …?

This has being doing the rounds of lots of clubs in our league

7 Likes

In the week that a great of WI cricket has died (Sir Everton Weekes), it is timely to be reminded why this greatest of games reorganisation to be more equitable. The same could be said for Rugby Union.

1 Like

Thanks. Always worth reading about Basil D’Olivera in this context too.

Bruce

1 Like

Exactly - our cricketing family, here in Gloucestershire, always held him in high regard.

Getting prepared for the start of the summer …

4 Likes

And by the looks of it rain stopping play …

Jut think of all that wonderful May weather that went unplayed in.

1 Like

This is frustrating.

2 Likes

You don’t have to hit it hard. Timing is everything.

What do people think of the ‘crowd buzz / hum’? I quite like it as it blends into the background.
Apparently you can turn it off on the beeb, but what about sky?

1 Like