Critic NAP250 DR Review

You are definitely not an exception. I did the jump from 250 (CB) to 300 (non DR) and it was noticeably better all round. DR-ing the 300 gave another big jump, especially control, grip and bass response.

1 Like

I bought a pair of 135s in favour of a 250-2 because of their far greater sense of speed, agility, control over the bass cones and more even frequency balance. In short, the 135s were shockingly better than the bloated mid-bass and slow presentation of the 250-2.

I also compared our serviced 135s to a non DR NAP300 driving a pair of PMC FACT12 speakers, which present a very demanding load. The 300 made these speakers sound awful. The 135s gripped them properly and could carry a tune but only just. These PMCs really need a NAP500DR or a power station amp to really shine.

So 2-0 to the 135s yet …

On less demanding speaker loads, the 300 was simply beautiful and subtle in a way that the 135s could not match.

By way of contrast, the 250DR is way, way more emotionally engaging and enjoyable than the 250-2.

The 300DR has since sounded effortlessly magical whenever I have heard one in a well balanced system.

In summary, the 250-2 has been a low point of the classic series for me. The 250DR was a real return to form, the 135s are an all time classic and the 300DR displays effortless grace.

Naturally, each of us will have our own personal experiences and preferences in such matters, so you may have completely different preferences.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

A friend of mine only got his Fact 8’s to really sing when he bi-amped them with four 135’s. They do seem to demand an exceptional amount of power.

I still have my 135’s from around 1990. They are on their third service and sound wonderful. They have been used when my 500 went for a service and DR’ing. I’m afraid that the 500DR pretty much annihilated them - even from cold. More power, finesse, drive, clarity, dynamics, depth and musicality. However, If I had to go back a step the 135’s would still be my weapon of choice for amplification.

The fact 12’s certainly like a more powerful amp to drive them, i have tried a 250, 300dr and finally the 500dr and for sure the 500 was easily the best with them and 100% agree.
I do sometimes think what another 500dr or 3 would do to them

1 Like

I just don’t know why we engage in these types of discussions.

As the very happy owner of a 250DR (£4,299 list) I totally accept that the 500DR (£24,999 list) will totally blow it away no matter what source, preamp and speaker combination (mullets excluded) it happens to be sitting in the middle of. I’ve never heard a 500DR and I don’t need to as I know what I am saying will be a fact.

Same will be true of the 250DR to 300DR comparison as well - just a lot less so I guess. I’m happy with that as well.

The 250DR is an excellent component at its price point and it has just received yet another very favourable review (based on the comments made by those who have read it) - the latest in a long list. The fact that HiFi Critic has seen fit to revisit it given how long it has been in production is a testament to Naim’s engineering prowess.

14 Likes

I think this is very true. It can be hard to admit (even to yourself) that the supposedly better & more exciting product in the hierarchy is less satisfying to your ears than the one you just traded up from, or are thinking of trading up from.

2 Likes

That “something” is the hardest thing to home in on. It’s one thing to evaluate the expected improvements, if they’re really audible, and if they’re worth the money. It’s quite another to detect if anything’s been lost. It’s one reason why I’ve always found that the biggest indicator of a successful upgrade is the increased inclination to carve out time to listen to music.

I’ve occasionally heard a supposedly better component and wondered what the fuss is about, which (conveniently) forecloses an avenue of upgraditis. I’ve heard the 300DR a couple of times, and in systems that have some commonality with my own, and am intrigued by it. An extended home demo isn’t realistic in my situation, so I may have to take a leap of faith (which is what I did with the 552, and that worked out OK).

All that aside, the 250DR is an excellent amp, and most of my thoughts about a 300 revolve around things that could be improved rather than deficits that need to be addressed.

1 Like

Yes, that personal subjectivity, often challenging to define in musical terms, can be a wicked mistress :grin: FYI, I ended up hopping from Olive 250 to 135s and then to a 500 (non-DR originally).

Way back then (c.2006/7 IIRC), the 300 not only delivered new casework but a change in the facets of the Naim sound e.g. more detail than 135s, better bass control, more spatiality (although a long way behind many others) and a much more even delivery of the whole piece, noting 250/135s were quite mid-band led to my ears.

My abiding memory is that the Olive 250 was ‘exciting’ to listen too, perhaps because it presented a ‘live sound’ through an absence of strong speaker control at volume, whereas the 300 was ‘too relaxed’, though being cleaner and far more controlled.

I’m not a fan of over-analytical systems and presentation, which presents as ‘dull’ to my ears.

1 Like

I’ve not heard the original 300, but it seems to divide opinion. By coincidence, I was doing a cleanout earlier today and found Paul Messenger’s original review in Hi-Fi+. He uses words like “listless” and “underwhelming” to describe his first impressions, though he tries to emphasise its subtler qualities. I suspect I might not prefer it to my 250DR - it seems like it might be a sideways move, at best.

By all accounts, the 300DR is substantially better, regardless of whether you favour the “new” or “old” Naim sound. And though I’m not thrilled about the prospect of adding another box (and a couple of Burndies), I love the idea of being able to crank the “hot mix” of LZII without worrying about causing my amp to shut down, as I’ve done in the past.

2 Likes

Having owned all these amplifiers over the years I wholeheartedly agree with all that.

G

It rather depends on the speakers, Thiel CS1.6 worked well with a 250-2. The NBLs weren’t bad either.

Low volume listening is far more important to me. Naim amps have plenty of current for domestic listening in my experience even the nap 100

1 Like

These days I do far more listening at low volume than high, but even so, an occasional rock out session is a peak experience I treasure. Even if I don’t cause it to shut down (I’ve only done that once) I find the 250DR to be a bit thin and shouty at higher levels.

The 250DR is markedly better than the CB at very low levels, but I’d still welcome further improvement in that area.

3 Likes

Yes I understand

How have you grounded your preamp

All naim amps need the source to have a signal earth connection

I’ve just boxed up my 300 for it’s service and DR upgrade, and have slotted the 250DR that I kept for this very occasion back into my system, so I’ve got an opportunity to compare and contrast. It’s pretty much the definition of a first world problem - they both fantastic sounding amps.

My first impressions on going back to the 250DR from the 300 (at low volume, as I’m sharing the lounge with my wife this evening) are that it’s still musical sounding. The bass isn’t and prominent or well defined, and the soundstage appears to be slightly more compressed.

But if I had to downsize, I would be happy with the 250DR (fully mullet mode with my 552DR).

5 Likes

With 552 that would be the exact opposite of a mullet, and is guaranteed to sound great. My “rainy day” NAP90 sounds just fine with my 552 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I guess it depends on whether you think that a 552 is business or party for the “business in the front, party out back” definition for mullet :wink:

1 Like

Mmm … when is a party not a party? - I think that’s been discussed elsewhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think Naim structure all their products in cost v performance as you ascend the ladder.
One reason why upgradeitus is part of their charm.
Having gone from an olive 250 in the early 1980s to a pair of 135s and a 500. non DR, when the 500 had a more modest price: I had the 500 DRd about five years ago.
Each step gives less hi-fi and more music.

Great that you’ve got this organised in time Jono.

1 Like