Critic NAP250 DR Review

That will depend partly on the demands of the loudspeaker. In some respects the 250.5 and 250DR are both capable of driving more demanding speakers than the older amps, including the original 250 and 135s. That isn’t to say you wouldn’t prefer 135s in the right system. They are very capable amps, but matching them to the system as a whole is always important.

1 Like

Brilliant amplifier hits the sweet spot in my opinion better than 300, it seemed to lack something compared to 250dr along with nac 252 good combination in my listening environment. Yes easily a good seller if need be

2 Likes

I prefer the 250 dr vs 300 dr too, in my system. Even at dealer place, with 252 and same speakers as me, I compared both on maybe 15 tracks. I was surprised that I not always found 300 dr more enjoyable vs the 250 dr. The 300 dr is better, no doubt. Gives more bass, better open soundstaging……but miss some agility and immediacy of the 250 dr.

6 Likes

I have found much of the same comparing the 300DR versus the 500DR in my system. @frenchrooster

1 Like

The 500 dr is sounding like a 250 dr on steroids. I agree. They share some sound signature characteristics.

1 Like

All I can say is that I have a 250 with a 252 and it doesn’t seem to lack anything in terms of sound quality, drive and agility, and presents a well balanced system.

5 Likes

Without doubt the 250DR is a great amp I owned one for a while with a 272/555DR but in my personal opinion the the 300 is a better all round performer, the depth and scale especially at low volume is impressive.

I dont think I will ever part with the 300, partnered over the years with a 272, 282, 252 and now a 552DR.

5 Likes

Hey Chris, I’d be happy anytime to bring my 250DR over to your place for a bit of listening and “shits and giggles” as they say. It would be interesting to see how it sounded with your gear (as different than in my setup…) but I can’t imagine it would give the depth and “power in reserve” sense of your 500DR.

1 Like

Hi Gary,

Let’s have a Naim Amp “Smackdown” at my place and settle the debate! :rofl:

6 Likes

I can play the role of Jim Ross! lol

1 Like

Per Jon, it’s very speaker-specific; with easy-to-drive speakers is where he thought the 250DR shone and could be prefered to the 500. But also per him not at all with speakers that demand more current.

1 Like

I no longer have a 250DR in my system, but l can provide libations, ears, and a tie breaking vote for this contest :smile: (and bring along my copy of HFC w/ the review).

1 Like

I recall Jon saying that, in his view, with speakers of 7 ohms or greater, the 250DR is a better amp than either the 300DR or the 500DR.

Which is confusing as heck, as the 300DR’s generally agreed virtues (good performance at both low and medium / high volumes, excellent bass grip, big soundstage, etc.) are making it a very tempting upgrade for me.

1 Like

That’s good to know as I’m close to pulling the trigger on a 250DR. My speakers are 7.5 Ohms minimum.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Naim does not agree. There are as I understand minor amp design differences between them and the big thing is the separation into two boxes giving 300 the normal benefits with having power separated from the “brains”.

I’m more experienced comparing Linn amps with other people in the room. Many will prefer the latest generation and most expensive in the range. But for some, these decisions are not clear cut and they hear pro’s and con’s. These people often stay pretty quiet on forums but they know what works best for them and remain content for many years. I suppose I’m just saying that I think you should trust your own ears with a home dem using well run-in equipment.

4 Likes

That sounds great Chris. It’s always a good time whenever a sufficient “excuse” is found to get together and listen to music with friends. Let’s get something booked.

2 Likes

This is akin to ‘how do you take your coffee/tea’ and what size cup do you use vis speaker spec’s.

My Olive 250 had a wonderful warmth to it which was lost with a 300 (non-DR at the time), the latter replacing 135s in the model line-up. The 300 had more detail, perhaps better low-end presentation but was missing that ‘something’.

But in trying to power my supposedly 4-ohm (stable load – yeah right!) Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk2’s, the 250 would run out of puff quite quickly at louder replay levels. So, I can see why the matching of ‘stable’ ~8-ohmers is far better, which accords with the spec’s for Naim’s speakers (I think Richard has said they dip only to ~6-ohms?). Obviously, adding more power capability & control via going active improved things though, especially with DBLs and 6-packing 135s.

It remains my view that a 500 amp is closer in presentation traits to a 250 than a 300 is.

2 Likes

I must be the exception. When I looked to upgrade from SN3 to 250DR I was disappointed.
It was only after hearing the 300DR that I thought it worthwhile upgrading from the SN3.

2 Likes

You are not, it’s just that the 250 DR admirers are gathering here. Search for 250 and 300 and you’ll find that it’s far from a universal view.

4 Likes