Crumbs!

Gremlins… they are always looking for trouble

:small_blue_diamond:@anon5525519,…He,.(ThomasOK,on forums) is incredibly knowledgeable and trustworthy.

He also gives many advice on Lejonklou’s forum.
He also contributed with information to my…“LP12-Radikal Problem”-thread.

They are a large network of retaliers around the world,.who collaborate with tests etc.
Everything is then reported on Lejonklou’s forum.
I have personal contact with both Fredrik and Thomas O’Keefe.
His credibility,.knowledge and experience are high.

•Rick,.I’ll see if I find the thread,but it may take a while :wink:.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

Please don’t post links here to threads or discussions on other forums. Thank you.

1 Like

“NAIM recommends…” usually does it for me. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Like the Rick Award?

Oh yeah an Award!

Rick avatar should be Mr Powerconditioner. Mr PC. Hahaha. No offense here Rick.

Thanks Peder. Ideally I want something I can just buy on Amazon or EBay relatively cheaply and I can’t find anywhere in the UK that sells this or gives any information as to its cost.

2 Likes

Thomas OK used to be very active on the Linn Forum. I always enjoyed his posts on the LP12. He is a big tune dem fan and sticks to the Linn hierarchy like glue! Very knowledgeable I would say, but like any dealer he will support the brands he sells.

2 Likes

@NorfolkT here are a couple of pictures to show the bits you need to check. The bolts on the bass unit, obviously, and then the interface plates between the two boxes. Only one bolt on the bass unit was in need of a small tweak but all six of those on the interface plates needed a little more. It’s been four years since I last checked them. All need 3.6Nm. I’ve shown the torque driver pointing at an interface plate bolt so you know what I mean. Then it’s a tighten on the tweeter arms at the bottom where they join the stand and a clean of the speaker plugs on the back. I’ve not touched the tweeters at all as I don’t have the settings.

The driver is pretty old and made by RS. I bought it from Adam when he sold his SL2s a few years back. So it has history!

I hope you find the pictures helpful. The construction of the SL2s is pretty astonishing and it’s no surprise that Naim made little if any money on them. They are a far cry from me-too wooden boxes with a couple of third party drivers slung in, which is what most speakers seem to be these days.

4 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@NorfolkT,…I found mine on ebay used,.I paid £180.

But I’ve seen them between £120-280.
Fredrik Lejonklou,.and his group of retailers around the world also use these.
They send them about once a year to Fredrik for calibration,.then they can compare exact Nm-values with each other in their tests.

Yes,.they’re incredibly Attention To Detail :wink:.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Never mind what Lejonklou uses, mine was used at the Naim factory!!

It’s one of these.

3 Likes

They’re very good. Similar types seem to have been used by the armed forces. I purchased mine secondhand, ex MOD and calibrated before sale. You will also likely need a set of hex head tips

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:O My God,…:roll_eyes:.

But Excuse Me So Much,.that I give a little more information around the product.
It’s usually appreciated.

But I’ll have to be a little more Correctly and Rigid,.in my information,to fit in on this forum according to you :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:.

:black_small_square:For further information,.the Lejonklou Group has tried it as Hungryhalibut recommends,but they think “Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4” is better.
It also manages very low Nm-values,.which is very useful for optimizing audioboards.

Something performed on each product in Lejonklou’s production.

/Peder🤔

Hi Nigel,
Thanks so much for sharing. That’s really helpful not just for me but also for other SL2 owners who may be contemplating this. Many, like me, will have had them set up originality by a dealer and may be nervous about disassembling them. Once I’ve sourced a torque driver I’ll have a go.

It’s a shame because I have one from my father in law which looks just like yours with the red metal handle but unfortunately the nm range only goes up to 2.6nm!

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David

2 Likes

Both the thinking and design/engineering that went into Naim loudspeakers was truly awesome. Such a shame they are no longer in production.

3 Likes

My dealer has loaned me his to do up the bass bolts on my SL2s. I didn’t know about the interface bolts so will check them while I still have the driver so thanks for posting the pics.

Will most likely get hold of one for myself TBH.

It’s interesting that the interface bolts needed quite a bit more tightening that the bass unit bolts. On the other speaker they all tightened up quite a bit. The grilles have been vacuumed to remove the plaster dust and now look sparkly and new.

In case people weren’t aware, the SL2 tweeters are in free space within an open section of the cabinet, with various foams stuck on the inside for damping. It’s such an interesting design.

1 Like

Nigel - I must say the veneer on your SL2s is stunning. Mine (older) are not like that. Another reason for you to hang on to them I guess.

My dealer told me 3.4nm for the bass units, so just another .2Nm for the interface plates then?

1 Like