Crumbs!

Well, my pre-loved Powerline arrived today. More drilling, Yoga, and rearranging cables… I’m also developing a bit of a dislike for the stiffness of the A5 speaker cable.

2 Likes

That means SL on the list now mike.

1 Like

I saw that coming… honestly the Superlumina IC is like a black box upgrade. I’m still recovering :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Instead of drilling, can you not just take out the whole back board of your unit ?
Would imagine making everything easier.
When I used one similar, I took of the back board and when fettling I slided it out so I could see what I was doing (without yoga) and then simply slided it back.

I don’t wish to offend by going off piste here, but here goes.
The Tommy bar I ordered the other arrived yesterday, so this afternoon I decided to take one stack down an insert the medium legs / columns.

I powered down, unplugged from the mains, did a spot of gardening, returned to dismantle the beast. A idea occurred to me reading this thread that a good clean with inserting / withdrawing cables might be a benefit. I therefore just removed my 52 and it’s Fraim and replaced it’s legs. I then reinserted the cables and powered up. To quote a well known observer ‘crumbs’.

I now can hear Ottmar Liebert mumbling away when playing ‘3 women walking’ on Nouveau Flamenco. Now is this because of the separation between the NDS and 52, or just because I unplugged, withdrew and inserted the cables?

Anyway a full breakdown will have to wait until next week when I’m not drinking. Then I’ll insert the new medium legs to provide more separation between the 135s, Snaxo, and Supercaps. My cable dressing needs seeing to … more pipe insulation?

One thought about the rebuild: does it matter which way the legs face? I note that they are asymmetrical and that the ridge supporting the threaded rod faces away from the front of the stack.

2 Likes

The shape of the legs follows the contour of the edge of the Fraim wood - as such you’ll find that they will only fit neatly one way.

That’s what I noted from your guidance, which is fine for the larger leg. Then I noticed the column support and had a rethink.

Thanks Richard - I’ll take a careful look when I break them down next week.

The thinner edge goes on the outside. Simple as that.

1 Like

I was surprised – quite a few of the bits had come un-tightened, over the course of 2-3 years. Seemingly all on their own.

It’s the wood that compresses a bit rather than the screws becoming unscrewed.

2 Likes

Also modern central heating tends to extract moisture from porous materials like wood, MDF and chipboard causing a small degree of shrinkage compared to the metal bolts and nuts which of course do not shrink. This is why nuts appear to become loose.

1 Like

Which is why brand new Fraim levels will need to be tightened up again a few months after first installation. They’ll stay tight for years after that though.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane Thanks for the tip Richard. Since I don’t use any Naim cables I’ll stick with my use of Kontak I’ve been using it for years on everything from Audio Research to Theta never a problem. I do agree about contact Enhancers that leave a film those are bad and attach dust and dirt… Kontak leaves nothing… Anyway you know how us yanks are, we hate being told what to do :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@anon5525519,…What Richard.Dane writes,applies to all the brands of contacts etc,.not just Naim.

This is very carefully tested in Sweden,.Fredrik Lejonklou wrote about this already for 15-18 years ago on his forum.
Read there and you’ll get the technical explanation.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

@Peder. We’ll agree to disagree. Kontak leaves NO RESIDUE. It just cleans the surface. I think quoting some forum post from 15 years ago is kind of pointless. Maybe give it a try before condemning it. FYI it’s a U.K. product that’s won numerous awards.

1 Like

I could, but all the cables need to pass through it anyway. If I had known I would add extra cabling, I would have started with some slots. It looks okay though, you can only just see the edges of a few holes and all the cables are hidden behind. In the unlikely event that I change the unit, I can put a new thin plywood panel over the existing one and stain to match. The bigger challenge has been to separate all the power, signal and speaker cables, but it’s done.

:small_blue_diamond:@anon5525519,… I’ve put the message,.more I can’t do.

If you don’t know who Fredrik Lejonklou is,.look at his forum.
He has retailer-partners in,.among other things,the United States,which has also tested this…Thomas O’Keefe,to name one of them.

Otherwise,.I can only refer to my previous post,.and Richard.Dane’s recommendation from Naim.
They usually knows what they are doing,.and so do also Fredrik Lejonklou at Lejonklou HiFi.
If you don’t trust me :wink:.

/Peder🙂

Don’t tell that to the men in the white coats :shushing_face:

2 Likes

@Peder… Ahh sorry there Peder but if you want to post a link to his opinion on his site Id be glad to read it … but I’m sorry I’m not going to look through 15+ years on his forum for his Opinion. keep in mind Opinions are like mouths, everyone has one. I guess I’m just not a correct Naim’ite LoL…

PS: Looks like this Thomas O’Keefe fellow is a distributor for the Lejonklou audio gear…not so unbiased maybe??

2 Likes

I suppose it could be those pesky aliens!

1 Like