Cyrus phono signature

Interesting - I’ve been pondering that route. Which version Stageline are you using?

Stageline is the S version, just powered off aux2 of my 202…

I’m finding that the load setting on the phono stage tends to be a minimum setting. So if a cartridge wants 100, then 470 isn’t an issue. What I haven’t heard yet is any downsides to a bigger load.
Lesser load, and it sounds awful :confounded:

If you’re not hearing much between the stagline and aria, whilst good, it’s also likely not to be right. The aria is a well respected stage. Something else could be holding back that aria earning its money.
Saying that in UK price terms you are close to a phono offering from Chord and of course Cyrus. Not sure how available they are to you. Saying that, it could be the aria holding back the alpheta 3.
I’m sure there is a " rule of thumb" relationship between cartridge and phono stage in terms of cost.

@KiwiMarra. Like @Thegreatroberto I’m a little surprised too that the aria didn’t impress.

I also had a stageline into aux 2 of a nac202 (P6/Ania) and it was just ok. It improved quite a bit with a hicap powering it but was knocked out by a Graham Slee Accession phono stage I demoed. The Aria is thought to be on a par with that I think so should have shown better I would have thought.

I was looking at a Cyrus signature too as it does seem to be the pick at that price point (esp with the PSX-R) but a good deal on a 252/Supercap DR came up so I grabbed that and all I can say is the stageline sounds lovely powered via dedicated rails of the supercap thru aux2 on the 252.

So….that’s an upgrade option for you….
I’ll get my coat…

2 Likes

Ha that’s how it always starts!

I also had a P6 Ania before my P8 and I reckon into my 202/stageline/table/cart chain the Ania was the bottleneck in that set up. The apheta is a far more involving cart. I must admit when I first auditioned. My P6 they had a P8 with an Ania as well and it was very very close. With the apheta it’s night and day better so I reckon a big proportion of the difference is in the apheta rather than the P8 deck itself….

There was nothing wrong with the aria, I just didn’t think it was worth the $$ to change. Once we get out of lockdown I might have a look at my options. The Cyrus stage looks great on paper.

Chord and Cyrus are silly Money here in NZ. To give you an idea the stageline is $1000, the aria is $2000 and the Cyrus stage is $3500… (all NZD).

Haha!
@KiwiMarra hits back at my “upgrade your amp” with his own classic “you need a better vinyl front end mate”.
Where will it end?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Although he is right unfortunately…….

in Divorce for most of us!

1 Like

Bit of an update. I ended doing the inevitable and getting the psx r2 to drive the phono. It was always going to happen.
And yes, it makes a great phono stage to feed the nac282.
I’m still playing with loading and capacitance. Keep pretending I can hear a difference when I reduce capacitance. Keep trying to convince myself adding extra load makes no difference.
I’ve set the gain at 60db. My previous stage had a 63db option which I think was better, so if Cyrus could have added intermediate gain stages that would have been great!

1 Like

Beware of companies that make companion black boxes :joy: :joy:

Tell me about it! Already got a Xpsdr and 2 Hcdrs!

Yep - I used to set mine at 60db gain when I had a Benz Micro Ace SL but I now have DV XX2 and use 70dB.

Either way - it’s a fab phono stage for sure.

1 Like

I’m going to weaken at some point I’m sure. Still holding out. Do let us know your thoughts when it arrives.

1 Like

Haha. It’s already arrived! After 3 days of burn in I’m not going back! A great psu.

2 Likes

I didn’t hold out very long. One ordered this evening! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Agreed…I use an Apheta 3 into an Aura and it sounds like they were made for each other. Incidentaly:

At 100 Ohms the music sounds good…and ‘correct’
At 200…sounds ‘wrong’
At 400, it sounds awful
…just my findings.
I have wondered if the Naim values are running in parallel with some other loading within the stage

The power supply in the phono signature is quite weedy. Almost to the point that the additional psu is not an option. Yes, it’ll get you going and work well, but.
The size of the transformer in the psxr2 is 300va, and caps 20,000uF per channel are more sized for a modest power amp than mearly a phono stage. Which of course goes a long way to providing a nice flat, noise free supply of DC.

3 Likes

Would love to hear your views of Aura

I upgraded from DV P75 Mk4…not surprisingly, the improvement was vast. Quieter, more dynamic, more detail, better musical flow and understanding of what was being communicated. I did not audition any alternatives though.

1 Like