Dbl refurbishing LF cabinet acoustic foam

This is extremely high quality workmanship. If a DBL Statement ever was released, this is it. To be clear…it was my schematic that was fabricated by a third party.

Correct. For me, that was a given within the context of this discussion with Ron.

I heard the aftermarket crossovers… they were terrible. The factory crossovers were amazing.

Hi All
I cannot contact Guy of Pure Sound via message on t’Bay or via his mobile, which is not responding.
There seems to only be on his Bay site ‘NAIM DBL Loudspeaker Internal Foam Set (20 pcs)’ for £195.
This seems a tad excessive to replace my SL2 top box foam interiors.
I’m wondering whether anyone has any other ideas.
Thanks
Jim

Where did you get your replacement internal foam from, and what type and sizes was it?
Thanks
Jim

Please would members respect and abide by forum rules. Thank you.

Update - Pure Sound have responded on t’Bay.

I also opened up the top box and took out the two SL2 foam pads.

They are 25mm thick and about 11 x 14 cm in size.

Photos show that they were originally just forced in around the top wooden brace spur, not cut to fit.

I think I will try to replace them with cut to fit pieces.

Charlie, where did you get your foam. Now im in need of replacing my allae’s interior foam but does not want to pay a lot for what puresoundsales is selling. Although im not in UK, I will rather import if it is cheaper.

I’d have to look it up myself again, but it’s mentioned somewhere up in this thread …:wink:

Hi Leadpin

I used the same foam manufacturer as Charlie.

Custom Foams.

Not cheap but the overall end result on my DBLs has been superb.

Karl

Hmmm, recently I found a sound acoustic shop. They sell these foam

I will cut it and replace it. Since I’m all the way in Malaysia, 75£ for the interior foam for the allae is ridiculous personally and also not including shipping.

I just ordered 1 sheet of ‘Acoustic foam flat sheet’ soundproofing foam from efoam .co.uk.

“Significantly reduces reverberation, reflections and flutter echoes.”

Sheet size: 25mm thick x 76 cm wide x 100cm long.
£17 inc. delivery.

Will let you know how it sounds after I install it.

2 Likes

Hi AHT and @bongoman
Detailed Q re SL2 top cabinet pads:
Did you cut a notch in the top of the pad before inserting it to accommodate the wooden brace in the top centre of the cabinet?
Or did you just cut the top of your pad straight across and force that down under the brace (as per the original pad)?
Thanks
Jim

Anyway - I’ve just cut 4 pads with notches in them, and they seem to fit tight and snug.
For reference, I cut pads that are about 15cm x 11.5cm - from 25mm thick acoustic foam. The notch was 6cm from the rear end of the pads and was 2cm wide and 3cm deep.

Do you know what the main purpose of the foam is?
Is it mainly to dampen the vibrations of the wooden cabinet?
Or to stop soundwaves echoing around inside the cabinet?

(Apologies for thread drift from DBL foam!)

hey just plugged them back in

cymbals sound particularly crisp and clear on test tracks :grinning:

@JimDog Yes, I also cut out notches, similar to yours.

1 Like

Many thanks for encouraging me to do this.

A bargain for £16!

@JimDog

Looks good. I cut out notches too based on paper templates from the original foam.

3 Likes

Hi AHT and @bongoman

Do you recall how thick the foam was you removed from your SL2 top boxes?
Mine was approximately 25mm thick.

Someone on my SL2 foam thread has had great SQ results with 12mm foam backed with cardboard too:

(Looking at your photos in the post above, @bongoman, it looks as though you replaced your foam with something about 25mm thick - as I did.)

thanks
Jim

I can’t recall the thickness of the original foam. I replaced with two foam layers.

I no longer have my SL2 so can’t check but the total thickness of 25mm sounds about right.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.