Dbl refurbishing LF cabinet acoustic foam

Three and a half months on my new tweeters and I’m still hearing ongoing improvement. Admittedly I’ve been spending a lot of time outdoors, trying to get as much DIY as possible before the weather closes in, so not had as much listening time as they deserve.

Willy.

Replacement tweeters are such a good cost effective upgrade in older Naim speakers. The improvement brought by new tweeters in my SL-2s has been really dramatic.

1 Like

I’m tempted to do this on my SL2s.

Did you watch Jason install them?

How is the installation done?

Do they sound better than the original ones?

Further update on my quest to find a sustainable solution in case the dbl mids fail. I had a very constructive discussion with a guy from scan speak. He suggests to bring the drivers so he can assess their exact specifications and based on that, find a matching replacement, which he thinks should be no real problem. He advised against an attempt to refurbish the original drivers but use them as they are as long as possible as they according to his judgment should have a very long life span anyway. Too bad naim could not provide any information on their specifications any more, but there seems to exist a way around that obstacle.

4 Likes

That’s very comforting news. If anyone can find a matching speaker it must be scan speak!

Please keep us updated on any developments.

DBLadies face lifted, sounding fresh as new :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

21 Likes

Beautiful result Charlie- enjoy them.

1 Like

I wished I could come up with some further news on the mid drivers. Unfortunately not yet. I really hope for that taking them to skan speak at some point early next year will open a venue.
But what’s really worth reporting is just how fine my DBLs now perform after the refurbishing so far. It took some time to open up and settle in but now they are nothing short of sublime :wink:

5 Likes

Don’t forget, it’s not just DBL owners who could be in the market for new mid range drivers, since the same driver was used in the NBL, or so I believe.

Fortunately mine still sound great (touches wood).

I am not entirely sure its exactly the same mid range driver in DBLs and NBLs. Maybe someone more knowledgable could comment. Mario?

As far as I recall, the NBL used the tweeter and midrange from the DBL and two bass drivers from the SBL.

IIRC the IBL used a different, long throw, version of the DBL/NBL mid drivers as it’s bass/mid driver.

Willy.

Yep, NBL and DBL have exactly the same mid driver. The main reason im keeping my nbl boxed up is in case my dbl mids ever need replacing.

1 Like

Mario
Do you by chance know how many NBLs were built? DBLs supposedly it’s 149 pairs.
Cheers

I have 173 pairs in mind. I mentioned this last time I was at the factory and no one corrected me, but then again I’m not sure anyone in the room at the time would have known for sure.

Hi Charlie

My foam came and so far have put in all the foam for bass drive box but where does the much wider "Bass Corpus Pillar 5550x 340x 25mm " go ? In the big L main cabinet?

Karl

20201205_122143|281x500

Ok you so ve covered all the obvious foam pads so far. There are one each inside the L shaped pillar. Get all the wool out first. The reach inside and up and you’ll feel the foaming inside the pillar. Gently try to pull it down and recover the old stuff as much as possible as a sigle piece. However it may crumble and fall apart during this process… clean the mess take a measurement and then comes the reibstqljation of the new foam rolled up …

Then there are four tricky more for the mid range to o…:wink:

Charlie

Many thanks. Apologies if you had to repeat yourself. Dementia kicking in early for me :scream:.

You were right, the foam was not in a good state. If I do the bass drive fixings well I am starting to believe the DBLs could really surprise me once they are up and running :grinning:

No worries
Let’s see how you get on with the foam inside the four pillars. There was a discrepancy with respect to size in these between the size according to the production sheet and the actual size I measured. That’s why you probably have both when you just ordered what I posted . Will be interesting to see what size you find in yours. It may be necessary to open the wooden pads on the pillars to get them in properly but I’d suggest you initially try it without opening them. Technically it should be possible when you roll them up slide them in and then unfold them inside.