Dbl refurbishing LF cabinet acoustic foam

Do you happen to know how many SBLs and SL2s were made?

Sorry, I don’t, Jim. I’d guess many, many more, particularly the SBL. It would be great to see the official production volumes for all these classic speakers.

1 Like

I forget the numbers but I think SL2s were well under 200. Many more Sibbles and I would estimate over 1000? Perhaps Richard has the numbers somewhere?

Hi Charlie, not sure with the exact number, but it was under 200 pairs, I recall something like 190 so 173 may be correct.

Short answer - not many!

2 Likes

It has been a few weeks now since my refurb of the internal foam and what a difference it has made. I will change the Tweeters at some stage and hopefully Charlie will be able to find a replacement for the Mids. When I built my Sons Recording Studio I used Backer Rod in all the joints for sealing and anyone that uses the Studio comments on how clear the sound is. Obviously other treatments were used as well. I wonder how well it would work on the Bass Cabinet rather than using the Sealant.

1 Like

Did you replace the internal foam in isolation of any other changes?

Can definitely recommend new tweeters. Has been transformational on my DBLs. 5 months in and I think they’re (nearly) there. I don’t recall the SL2 tweeters taking so long, or changing so dramatically, during burn-in, however they were Naim matched, maybe the Naim process involves a degree of burn-in?

Willy.

Here is a just pic of of those gasket for the bass driver provided by ATC …:wink:

Great to read it’s been worth while an effort for you too :wink:

I could not have done it without your help and advice Charlie.

2 Likes

Hi Charlie

Interesting to see you changed the tweeters too. Did you find they made a big difference to the sound over the old? I see Falcon Acoustics sell them for circa £77 each. Considering modern beryllium tweeters cost towards £1000, a bit of a cheap tweeter design by today’s standards.

It will be interesting to see if Scanspeak can see if a more advanced midrange driver will work with the DBLs.

Having listened to a few new speakers I realise how much detail and resolution I am missing from the DBLs and that is mostly down to the drivers rather than cabinet design. A lot of that will be down to the midrange unit of the DBLs. I don’t think the ATC bass drivers have changed that much over the years.

Still waiting for the bass drive units to come back from ATC. They have been focused on their new orders…

Hi delft
Been out of touch somewhat lately. I assume you got your dbls back together meanwhile. Hope you are satisfied with the result. No further news on my end here, except playing around a bit with some of the ineffable cables.
Taking the mids to skanspeak eventually is still on my agenda, just don’t know when …

Playing around with more modern drivers in dbl cabinets might be interesting yet a completely different endeavour that probably would need a second pair to fool around with :joy:

It’ll be interesting to see what Skanspeak suggest? I will follow your updates with interest.

Hi Charlie

I did indeed finally get them back from ATC. Everything went fine putting them back together. However my 500 is still with Naim waiting for DR upgrade - another long delay it seems. So haven’t been able to test them with music.

I am currently running the DBLs through my AV amp - no real test at all - but comparing the sound before using them in AV setting there is already a notable improvement in the sound out of the DBLs running them in stereo on movies etc. So I am hoping for a notable improvement on music once 500 is back. Perhaps I won’t need to change them after all .

I have also “invested” in better cabling. Chord sarum t from 552ps to 500 and speaker cables.

I think the DBL design is sound with separate boxes etc (like Wilson Audio ) but if Scanspeak can fit a better midrange then that would be fantastic. I see on Falcon Acoustics website they make a few light midrange units that might fit. I think it would need to be fairly light to sit on the suspended plate. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks to you and all the other contributors on this thread. I wouldn’t have had a clue otherwise.

Karl

:+1: awaiting your impressions then with the newly DRed 500. My guess is that you’ll be quite overwhelmed :wink:.

Think it’s time then to come up with a picture gallery of all the newly refurbished DBLs here on the forum …:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Short update: Pilgrimage with the mid drivers to Scanspeak scheduled around March/April. I am optimistic :wink:

5 Likes

Wow, that’s very interesting news. Good of them to have a look, they’re hardly going to be making a mint out of it, but of course it will benefit NBL owners too.

Pilgrimage with my DBL mids to Scanspeak scheduled for early April. :wink:
I will just need to desolder the wires, and then remove and pack the drivers veery carefully to take them on a 7h ride. The plan is to determine their exact specifications, as naim unforunately can not provide these anymore. I hope for a solid assessment on their current status, with the option of a reconing job to be done and/or a recomendation for matching alternatives. Lets just hope corona is not getting in the way…

6 Likes

Hi

I finally received my 500 back from Naim with the DR upgrade. So this was my first opportunity to
hear the refurbished DBLs. I also upgraded cabling 552 ps to 500 and speaker cables to Chord Sarum T (from standard cables and Naca 5).

I usually hear improvements “straight out of the box”. This time I didn’t, so initially disappointed. So I left it on a system burn in disc for a few days. I was staggered by the improvement!

All together the changes are immense. never heard my system sound so good. I can now listen to my DBLs at low volumes and get a lot of pleasure from them. I attribute that to the lower noise floor of 500dr. Sound staging was always a good feature on DBLs. This has been further enhanced. Depth, bass dynamics, clarity and detail have all improved significantly.

Thoroughly enjoying it all.

Many thanks to all those I have learnt from in refurbishing the DBLs. Couldn’t have done it without the forum. :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

This is pretty much what I heard when I got my 500DR’d on DBL’s. However, I can happily report that the amp continued to improve over several more months with remarkable clarity and realism. I thought it so good It convinced me to get my 552DR’d.