Decision time. CD5 XS 2 vs CDX2

If you opt for a powerline you have a choice of where to use it. I tried all round the system, after running it in on the power amp to begin with. I had a flatcap 2x powering the CD player’s analog circuits and was surprised that the CD5x’s digital circuits benefitted the most from it if I only considered the performance from the CD source.

1 Like

I would not buy the flacap. I have run an xs system for about six years, the first two of which I also used a flatcap. When my cd xs was returned for repair I borrowed another cd player from the dealer but did not connect the flatcap to it. I could not tell the difference, I then took it off the amplifier and again could not tell the difference. I then sold the flatcap and four years down the line still do not miss it.
Save your money and buy cds with it.

1 Like

I should have added that the nDAC firmware update 4.11.8 and subsequent SQ improvement lessen the need to add an external PSU, really.

Chag -

An external PSU makes a significant difference to the nDAC, mine was already at 4.11.8 before I added the XPS.
It’s very good without it but the XPS adds power, scale and a sense of realism.

1 Like

Maybe but so much better than the 5 XS on its own. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Chag -

1 Like

I woke this morning at 2:30am. It is now 4:56am. I could not sleep as a thought popped into my head and I have verified that my Marantz CD-85 from 1989 has an optical output at the rear. This would allow myself to connect it to a DAC for $4,500 AUD or so and possibly either straight away or down the track purchase an outboard power supply for the DAC and the amp.

Though the CD player is 30 years old this year. This is another possibility which I have not thought of.

Or would it be wiser to run a complete Naim System, CD5 XS, Nait XS 2 with or without a Flatcap?

The output of the CD-85 is 44.1 kHz PCM.

This might give me the best of both worlds. Though again GIGO, Garbage In = Garbage Out. By this I mean the CD5 XS may track better and have less errors.

I would first have to take the CD-85 to the dealers and see if the output and DAC combination worked. Then if the CD-85 failed one day I would be without a CD5 XS as they would have all been purchased by then.

The cabinet where the CD player is located loans its self to either a motorised sliding CD draw or a swing out in the case of Naim. A Rega would not be suitable,

I am just talking out loud and to see where the dust settles.

1. Naim Audio DAC $4,490 AUD
  2. Naim XPS MK2. $7,700 AUD
  3. Naim 555 PS. $13,250 AUD

1 + 2 = $12,190
1 + 3 = $17,740

or

1. CD5 XS $ 4,800
  2. Flatcap. $ 1,800

4 + 5 = $6,600

or 1 by itself = $4,490 AUD

or 4 by itself = $4,800 AUD

The DAC is a Store Demo. All the other equipment is brand new. The DAC does have the 555 chip set.

I think I might go for the CD5 XS with or without the power supply. The CD player is a mechanical device and is 30 years old.

What do forum members think. This is just something to wake me out of bed so early. Though the CD-85 might last me another 30 years and may see me out.

Warm regards,

Paul.

4 by itself. Might be all you need.

All other considerations at this stage risk analysis paralysis imo.

Best,
C.

1 Like

Oh, well that’s an interesting distraction. If you have a good CD player, you could get the ND5 XS2 and move to streaming and you could also play the CD-85 throughly it using RCA outputs which would then use the new DAC in the ND5 XS2, or use the digital out if it sounds better.

1 Like

Or you could take sleeping tablets :wink:
No, seriously, get a CD5XS, I had one and was happy with it. I got a Flatcap, which brought SQ to a slightly higher level - and a couple of years later, ended up getting a used CDX2, which was quite a bit better. Same chip, though.

1 Like

Easy call, really - a lot of us have been there. The nDAC was optimized for the CD5 XS. CD5 XS first and as soon as funds allow, nDAC. But don’t pay more than A$2.3k for a S/H nDAC. Climb up the amp ladder to 282/250 level before going 555PS or even XPS. :nerd_face:

Chag -

1 Like

Thank you yet again to all for your valued inputs. I do agree with Christopher, I am in overload.

Dear Mike_S,

I have ruled out Streamers as I wish for my wife to be able to use the stereo and anything more complicated that putting a disk in tray will be too much for her. This Easter as we live in the holiday town of Inverloch by the beach. We suffered broadband drop outs as we enjoyed warm weather and the town was chockas with with holiday makers.

Dear Chag,

I have checked out the price of the 282 and a 250 combo. It comes in around $17,000 AUD. No doubt it sounds beautiful and it maybe one day to aspire to such a setup. Though for now I require a headphone output and I think this setup is out of my league. I could afford it at a push. Though I am also looking out for a new ride. I am planning to trade in my Yamaha V-Star 650cc cruiser in for a Kawasaki 900cc Custom with all the trimmings.

Also to this Shelley does not enjoy my selection of music. Though I can see myself with the volume turned up rocking to some Stevie Ray :smiley: when Shelley is out. Until then it will be headphones.

Dear Sam,

CD5 XS or CDX2 was in the title of my topic. I was all settled on a CD5 XS and now you reintroduce the CDX2 which I can afford. Though the Optional power supplies are a killer at $7,700 AUD.

This morning at 10am Tuesday. I will chew the ear off one of my Naim Dealers for advice. Even though he does not have a CDX2 in stock and another Naim dealer in Melbourne does. I will try and read between the lines in what he says. If he does not have a Flatcap XS I will ring the other dealer and chew his ear and do the same again. Aesthetics is also a point to consider and a XS system would be pleasing on the eye. Everything being uniform. But it is about the sound and not so much what pleases the eye.

Dealer one also has a nice range of closed headphones and that is where I purchased my Nait XS Mk2 from. So there is a smidge of loyalty here to consider. If it was not for the run out sale I would have purchased my ride instead. Timing, Hmm.

I will reply back once I have made the purchase in a few days after my super cheque arrives.

Last though before I close. Mike_S, can a ND5 XS2 stream from my iMac? As we have Apple Music Family. That would save a lot in CDs.

Warm regards,

Paul.

1 Like

Yes, it would give you two options: playing from an Apple device to the streamer via Airplay or ripping CDs to iTunes on your Mac and using a uPnP app to stream to the Naim streamer through a local network (wired Ethernet or wi-fi).

I’d suggest you demo the headphones at the dealer you got the XS from.

From a system and aesthetic view I think the CD5 or ND5 is the way to go. Remember you can play your exiting CD player into the ND5 and the advantage of the newer DAC.

I agree with Mike_S – an ND5XS2 is the way to go. All the advantage of streaming – plus your wife can use your old CD player (through the ND5) for the occasional spin. No clue whether your CD player provides great transport services (especially if compared to the CD5XS), but does it really matter too much for spinning a CD once in a while? And I wouldn’t be surprised if your wife gets into streaming too; and suddenly you will have additional Muso QBs around the house… :wink:

1 Like

Or, budget permitting, an NDX2 with a view to replace the XS2 with a Supernait 2? That would be a great 2-box system, with an upgrade path if you are keen on spending more in the future… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Once set up, which is a little more involved than plugging in a CD player, streaming is no more complicated - and your wife (or you) could readily set up a playlist for her with just her choice of music.

With the CD85 as the stopgap until complete, you could rip all your CDs and then dump them all in the loft or wherever, freeing space. You’d then have all the advantages of streaming, including potentially better sound quality than CD, convenience, and the option to use online streaming services to have access to a wider range of music than your own collection (some free, limited sound quality but good for just trying new music, others subscription).

1 Like

If you’re thinking of an ND5xs2 take your wife along to the dealer and let her see what she makes of it.

2 Likes

If your wife can use her phone to call people or use apps to do stuff she can easily choose music using the Naim app. If for some reason she cannot do these things then it’s best to stick with the simplicity of CDs. Setting up streaming is not difficult but there is an initial level of complexity that you may or may not want to get involved in, given the other stuff going on in your life.

I’d really try to keep things simple. You already have the Nait, so just get the CD5xs and a Flatcap. You will also need to buy a 4 pin Snaic and a 5 pin Snaic, and ensure you have a decent stand to put it on. A Quadraspire Q4 is a good place to start. Do not stack the boxes on top of each other, though I’m sure you already know this. I really wouldn’t worry about DACs and streamers at this point. You can always add later if the mood takes you.

1 Like

Dear H.H,

It is true we have a bit going on and the first meeting with my solicitors and barrister with my employers legal team takes place late next month. I am glad we are getting to the end after 51/2 years of medical examinations. Plus other things.

KISS may well apply here. I have a few CDs though maybe a hundred or two. It is not overwhelming. One lot of rock music is a CD tower we purchased from an Opp Shop.

The classical CD’s are situated in the pigeon wholes under the TV. Yes I like simple. I am not a network boffin. Though I can muddle my way through. The idea of streaming my Apple Family Music Account via the HIFI does sound attractive. Though I will chat with the sales staff member tomorrow.

Question? Can more than one device at different times be connected to the ND5 XS2? By this I mean Shelley could have her playlists on her iPad and I could use my iPhone 5SE. Just a thought.

The ND5 XS2 is $4,750 AUD I could save for another day, or spend on my wife. It could be used else where.

Warm regards,

Paul.

1 Like

Good Idea Yeti, though she avoids Melbourne. We left all that hustle and bustle 12 months ago. It is only I that has to return twice a month or more for medical appointments.

She will not come. Though a good idea all the same.

Warm regards,

Paul.

G’day I.B., I purchased an Apple HomePod which Shelley enjoys and is more her style. It plays which ever radio station she wishes to listen to or band for that moment.

Warm regards,

Paul.