Dedicated mains feed

We are perhaps splitting hairs now, but I would be inclined to agree with @anon4489532 running one length of 10mm2 should be plenty. It wont be an easy cable to manage - after all how many holes do you want drilled in your joints, etc. Unswitched socket also good. I dont recall ever seeing the recommendation about running earth straight back to meter. The electrician will still need to run an earth to the consumer unit, so I suppose he can run an extra one for that, but not one to fall out over.

Without knowing your precise setup, and how the cable will be run, it’s hard for us to be more precise on detail, so we may all differ slightly. Just see them all as as good options to discuss with your electrician.

Alternatively lets have a big Zoom meeting where you can show us your house, and we can discuss it with the electrician - of course he may run a mile :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I could sell tickets!!

The earth thing is about running it from the new consumer unit direct to the meter, rather than daisy chaining off the existing CU. For years I had it daisy chained and when we replaced the old fuse box with a new spec CU I asked for the earth to go direct. It seemed to make as much of a difference as installing the dedicated CU in the first place.

3 Likes

That make perfect sense - thanks

Hi @anon4489532
Interesting what you’re saying about the earthing. I am about to get a dedicated radial but I live in an apartment, so running the new earth from the meter probably won’t be a practical option. Any recommendations? I assume it’s still worth going with a sub optimal strategy of attaching to the main consumer unit earth?

I expect you will still have a thick earth cable coming up to your apartment to a big metal connector block, so you would have to use that

A separate CU is still a good idea. I’m unable to advise on earthing arrangements. I’d ask a qualified electrician. Safety trumps SQ in these scenarios.

1 Like

Thanks @anon4489532 I will.

I’ve been thinking about your 50 amp breaker rating. 10mm2 cable is rated at 61 amps, so clearly 50amp breaker would be a suitable size to protect the cable. However the breaker also needs to protect the socket at the other end. Now from what I have read, the terminals of a typical socket are rated at 32 amps which makes sense for a typical ring. So I would have thought a 32amp fuse would be more suitable. Would be interested to know your thoughts?

1 Like

I would run 4 x 10mm runs to 4 sockets and forget the hydra. I know that others disagree on multiple cable runs but I have tried all the variations inc. power blocks, hydras etc. over the years and always came back to separate runs. It gives you a more open soundstage and you can always use one spur if you prefer. Why 4? because you need source, pre, power, and there is always something else, with mine it is currently the TT phono stage. As others say, you only do it once so give yourself the flexibility, the extra cost is marginal…

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you use double sockets? Then even your way would mean two lengths.

I have 2 x 10mm runs into a double socket each, into one I have 1 Hydra with power amps on and another hydra with power supplies. The other socket has just the CD player in it, the turntable Michell NC is plugged into the household mains

I have no thoughts on it at all. All I’d say is that it was installed by a qualified electrician, updated by another qualified electrician, inspected last year by the distribution company and has worked fine for twenty years. I’m happy to trust the professionals who installed it and inspected it.

You could of course, I chose one for each hi-fi component which seemed to be the recommended thinking from the circle of forum members I was discussing the topic with some 20 years ago, who had trialled the different options. It probably comes down to fine lines in terms of benefits but I love the open soundstage and added separation that separate dedicated spurs provide. Like I say though some prefer a single spur for a more “integrated” presentation. I guess you pays your money (which is negligible by comparison) and takes your choice. This way though you have a choice to select whichever mix you prefer…

Hi pslosarc. Would love to understand how you did the A/B comparison leading to your findings please? Enjoy Peter
PS. You don’t seem to have a system on your profile btw.

These are what I use and consider the best

I trialled single spur and bought and sold mains blocks and hydra’s in the past with my previous system. I have tried all 4 components into two double sockets but prefer it as you see above. My system should be on the profile. Right now its P10/Aria/Nova/250DR downsized from CDS3/XPS2/252/SC/300. The Nova is a temporary resident whilst I await the coming of the 372… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, just thought you might like to see my own design/custom built 12 way distribution block. Hardwired with 4mm cable and currently ran through a MK plug-top to the top floor ring main. The 1 meter mains supply cables to the Naim equipment are special custom built. No problems at all.
I do have an Engineering, professional background by the way.

6 Likes

Question directly to @anon4489532 . Without going silly I want a mains block and on the verge of ordering Isotek evo3 Sirius . Would welcome your imput. Thanks

I wouldn’t touch it and would steer clear of anything with conditioning or protection, unless you have disastrous mains issues. The only block I’ve tried recently is the excellent MusicWorks, but that’s twice the price. It’s totally unfiltered.

If I had your two Naim units and the Linn, I’d wire the two Naims into the same mains plug and then plug that and the Linn into a double unswitched socket on the end of the dedicated mains.

These days I have a Grahams Hydra, but with only two powered boxes you can achieve the same thing by wiring into a single plug. Total cost: nil.

2 Likes