Dedicated mains feed

Jesus Christ, I’m jealous! Oh, who am I kidding…I’m not worthy…I’m not worthy!

1 Like

Looked at splitting and having two racks, but wasn’t feasible in the end.

Same here…I even have a spare base board to allow me to do it…but no space…doh

Looking at your profile, you are well worthy

1 Like

Update so far…

System does seem to have more depth and bass .

Letting it settle down again, as the system has been in bits for a couple of weeks. Playing JazzFM on the internet radio adapter when I’m not listening as such and overnight on a low level to help it bed in.

Trying all the sources to see if all is OK. The new Internet Radio Adapter is working well, even the Bluetooth side is working on this one, which never did on my previous one. Been playing Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers on the LP12. Now playing Dire Straits on the CD5 XS to test the HDCD element of that.

Have connected up the new TV to the 282, but had to get a small DAC for that, as TVs now don’t appear to have a headphone socket anymore, only Optical / Digital outputs. What is the world coming too…:roll_eyes:

Having the RCBOs changed next week. Turned out that they fitted Type B Curve, whereas the spec was for Type C Curve. Found out when that circuit tripped immediately when I switched on the second 250DR. (Funny though, never tripped before when the system was all on a single plug on the standard radial circuit. That was also a Type B Curve).

Very impressed with the level of workmanship from the Electrician. Very neat and tidy, even caulked round all the trunking to make it even tidier.

Will let you know how it’s developing…

Glad to hear all going well. With the tripping, try a longer delay between starting big components, say 30-60 sec

1 Like

I maybe missed something racing through the posts - any advice / recommendations on consumer unit, Surely I don’t have to pay £200 plus for a good unit? Thank you

On other posts, Hagar were recommended. All Consumer Units should meet the same standards. But, I think it’s like anything, you have a choice of how much you want to pay, similar to buying a car, you can get a Bentley or a Dacia. Both are to the same standards and will get you from A to B, but people are prepared to spend what they’re comfortable with.

1 Like

Mk Sentry are pretty good…

1 Like

I second the MK RCD. I listened to every RCD in the Screwfix catalogue and found the MK the most musical.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointers folks - just searched for the Sentry units - turns out they were discontinued last December.

MK do an updated … unit…not sure of the name…

1 Like

I’ve just remembered. The latest regs require an mcbo (miniature circuit breaker with over current protection), and due to the cost, I’ve not compared them. So, the MK may not be the best solution.

1 Like

These are called RCBOs

2 Likes

Thank you. You’re absolutely right. RCBO, not MCBO.

1 Like

Are they not Star Wars droids?

Installed mine at the weekend. Single radial in 6mm twin and Earth from a small consumer unit (40a 30mA RCD/ 32a mcb) connected to meter via Henley block terminating in 3 x MK logic unswitched sockets. The difference is astounding, and the hum from my 555PS has all but disappeared…

Well done, and good news about the hum. Presumably it was something on your Ring causing the hum. Interested to know how the 6mm cable was connected to each MK socket? Can you get two 6mm cables in a single MK terminal?

It’s a tight fit, but yes, it can be done. It takes a bit of care to push the connected socket into the back box and screw it in place. I once tried it with 10mm cable, just to prove a point, and I did manage to get two of them into the same connection - just.

impressed!