Deepest Bass

My sis was hanging out with Autechre a while back. At one of their gigs and they told her exactly where to stand for maximum sub impact. She said it was crazy on some tracks.

2 Likes

C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L by The Chemical Brothers

I have exactly the same feeling! By Telarc’s own admission, canon is recorded at very high level. I never really found this Telarc recording that great to listen to except perhaps at shows when dealer is trying to demo earth shattering bass. At the expense of keeping these canons in check the rest of the recording is unable to fill the room thus underwhelming. There is a reason and place for compression.

Otoh, Hyperion Holst The Planets has good dynamics without overdoing it. I love that CD. :slight_smile:

You are not alone. I am listening right now and the cringe factor is off the chart. I am not enjoying it, just fearing for my gear

@Simon-in-Suffolk if you are into classical kind of bass, this one is great - volcano eruption - Delos Alan Hovhaness Symphony 50 Mount St. Helens.

The symphony commemorates the volcano Mount St. Helens, culminating in the events of its 1980 eruption.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No.50(Hovhaness)

Live performance

Better SQ

1 Like

After about the bass really drops.

@JamesF do you have indication how deep that second pulsating bass note goes with your kit? Mine has modest bookshelves and modest sub, so I can see a peak just under 40 Hz, but this might just as well indicate a lack of subwoofer performance

I recall many years back being in Sweden doing a Naim road trip, demoing the then new Fraim. After the evening presentation of one particular event we had attendees offer up their own music to play through the system. That’s when this track suddenly appeared

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you to be honest, and I wouldn’t know how to measure it, but I have a NAP 200 and my speakers have some 8” drivers in fairly large enclosures (for stand mounts), so they can go pretty low. You can certainly rattle the windows with them!

In a bigger room they would be even better but I think I’m losing some of the lowest frequencies because of my 4x4m lounge.

James

Kanye West - Gone. The bass goes low and is lovely, bouncy and textured. I’ve had/heard plenty of set ups that can’t do this well.

Wyclef Jean - Gone till November. First 30 seconds of this has some really low bass. If your system can do it right it feels like being punched in the stomach.

1 Like

Are we talking about music in this thread, or hifi ‘special effects’?

2 Likes

I thought it was about very low frequency bass as part of music

1 Like

French bass: Christine & the Queens - Damn dis moi
 Really just one note :slight_smile: The chorus starts with with 2 bass notes on the lyrics ’ Que faire?’ , and the one on ‘faire’ not only goes deep but is mixed to be really ‘present’. Your ears as well as any frequency analyzer app will tell you. Thanks all for the tips. Who would have thought Enya was a bass-head?

1 Like

Not the deepest bass in Herz indeed, but what a killer track! thx

1 Like

Music for me! 
Hi-Fi special effects - i mean, what’s the point?!?

2 Likes

I love musical bass, but can do without being ‘punched in the chest’ or having my windows shattered!

The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hertz. Interesting perspective.