Deepest Bass

Yes, but full of harmonics… our brains often don’t need to hear the fundamental to work out the frequency if rich in harmonics.

1 Like

It’s not just track 10 on Enya’s Watermark, listen to track 1 at 0:53…

Mike Oldfield’s Song of Distant Earth, track 12, about a minute in. A whole bassline so deep it’s difficult to make out.

Kraftwerk too: The Mix version of The Robots has a very low bassline. Also, Minimum-Maximum, disc 2, track 1, about 2 minutes in.

Mark

However it is more satisfying to hear &feel the fundamental!

The Japanese drummers - Kodo - do some very impressive drumming, including on a humungous drum which goes quite low.

1 Like

The largest drums are called ‘Odaiko.’ Sadly, the drums don’t record well. Seeing them live is breathtaking, hearing the CD’s is alright.
They play a piece called Monochrome which is played on small ‘shime’ drums. It starts barely audible for two or three minutes, tiny concusions on the drum heads, but at one point all nine are being beaten to death at full volume - almost painful as the pitch is quite high . I don’t think that could be reproduced with even the best systems. There are many good Taiko groups, our home grown version, Mugenkyo, have been touring and teaching over twenty years. I stopped counting the gigs I’d seen when I’d been to thirty. Live - awesome. Recorded, ok.

2 Likes

I’m jealous. I would love to hear them live - it must be incredibly impressive. I do wonder, though, what happens to their hearing - they don’t appear to wear any ear protection, and they are right by those Odaiko drums.
I’m sure that recorded is a pale imitation - though it’s all I have experienced.

1 Like

The drums don’t seem to be loud in the way electrically amplified instruments can be. I have been in the dojo with eight large Nagado drums and it is ‘loud,’ but not painful. The first time I saw Kodo at the QEII Hall on the South Bank, I seemed to hold my breath for the entire concert! I remember the whole thing seemed to last about ten minutes, but while they were performing, time didn’t seem to exist. I know Mugenkyo’s repertoire so well, I can follow along, again, with baited breath. The other performers that play tricks with time are The Tallis Scholars. While they are singing, there is no time, but an entire concert passes by in a flash when I look back on it. Strange, I look forward to seeing live music again.

2 Likes

I’m not a real huge fan of deep deep bass, preferring the more bumpy work of 60-80htz and above.
Think Robert smith playing the bass guitar as a lead guitar in the early cure albums.
Adam Clayton matching the early Edge treble overload in early U2 albums.
Very deep bass is suited more I think as a percussive pad work for a groove…

1 Like

Excellent - must get this version! Thanks

Essay Potna rulez

A few tracks on Enyas first album, the BBC one has some very low frequencies in areas too. I can hear things vibrating in the room when I play Boadicea.

James

2 Likes

“Basic Channel is a German music duo and record label, composed of Moritz von Oswald and Mark Ernestus, that originated in Berlin in 1993” …

1 Like

Interesting that there has been no new replies since that last coldcut track I posted.
In fairness, playing it on my system I’m struggling to think of anything that could top it ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How about this?

4 Likes

If you’ve ever heard the SACD of Goldfrapp’s Supernature (played on an SACD player, obviously), then you’ll KNOW what deep bass sounds like. And there will be no buildings still standing within a five-mile radius.

3 Likes

Yep. Check out Under the Influence cited by Catcat above. wow.

Agree - this one is an absolute beast! …I’ve got a few nice HIRes rips of it from the glory days of what.cd (maaan I miss what.cd)

1 Like

Just collected the proposals on a public Qobuz playlist. Have fun :wink:

http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/5810382

2 Likes