Delay Finding Rooms in Naim App

Awesome and thanks! That does look very straightforward. I’ll try it tonight

I have IGMP snooping enabled on my UniFi network and mDNS and I still have the issue.

1 Like

I am having the same issue here. Using wired ethernet, no ethernet over mains, cat 6 throughout. My only difference is that I use a switch connected to my isp router in one room then another in the lounge to distribute Ethernet to devices in that room. Only really noticed it since I upgraded from a SU to the Nova.

1 Like

It’s not the IGMP snooping, it’s the IGMP querier … snooping works best when the groups are queried.
On Cisco 2960 switches standard IGMP snooping is on by default. However if your router is not querying the groups, perhaps it’s not designed to route multicast, then you need to manually setup a querier that does the same thing assuming you have nothing else on your network querying the groups.

This shows my querier properly enabling the IGMP multicast group snooped ports on my Cisco 3560. Fa0/6 is my NDX2, and you can see the UPnP discovery and Roon groups. Group IP address 239.255.255.250 is SSDP that UPnP discovery uses.

If you don’t see your Naim streamer appear in the port list as above, then there could be issues with it being discovered easily or delayed.

Here is my querier, which is a BT Smart Hub 2 router. It does this by default, no user intervention required. Before I used this router I used a manual querier on one of my Cisco switches.

Some lesser ISP routers and off the shelf broadband routers may not do this.

I disconnected the Devolo devices and used WiFi as suggested earlier in this thread. No difference.

I have a TP-Link TL-WR940N, not sure of its multicast capabilities. Everything else like TV streaming etc. is working fine. Surely if the Naim requires particular router capabilities or configuration, this would be mentioned in the setup documentation, or by my dealer when setting it up? The average home user cannot be expected to know about multicast or IGMP snooping :slight_smile:

1 Like

David

Most older consumer stuff does not to support IGMP snooping with the possible exception of Wifi. Consumer switches typically broadcast the multicast group address info to all ports thereby reducing efficiency and increasing unnecessary host (streamer network stack) processing but improved plug and play. Naim certainly doesn’t require IGMP Snooping.

The problem can happen with consumer stuff not doing IGMP snooping properly for your network when enabled or commercial stuff doing IGMP snooping (like Cisco Catalyst switches) but with out having the correct network configuration- which you’d expect for a commercial network, but not necessarily for a home network…

So try disabling IGMP snooping on your consumer stuff or use basic hone network stuff, assuming it does not have a software fault in it (wifi and switch) - it might start to work.

This is nothing to do with streaming - its typically more to do to with discovery as used by netowork printing, home automation discovery, Apple Airplay, UPnP etc… this methods can use different methods.

So if IGMP snooping is disabled on your wifi and switch ports and it still doesn’t work properly - then that does point more to a Naim component/Naim software/OS issue…or a faulty router

But I have no such issue with my NDX2 (or NDS/NDX2 before), Ubiquiti wifi access points, Cisco switches and my BT Smart Hub 2 - it just works…

My managed switch can show it is working correctly and to help others on this forum - but I don’t need to do that - and most can be oblivious to it.

Ok i did a little rummage, the TP-Link TL-WR940N doesn’t appear to support multicast snooping on its wifi but uses a different method called DTIM to handle multicast and broadcast flow. However this can cause issues with Apple devices loosing wifi multicast and broadcast information such as discovery data.
There is some anecdotal evidence that Apple have recommended this be increased in value if there are issues with Apple devices using the DTIM method - from the default of 1 to 3 or higher on wifi advanced page on your router. https://twitter.com/revolutionwifi/status/725489216768106496

This might help Apple not loosing data when talking to your TP-Link router.
The same issue could possibly happen with a Naim streamer on wake up as well, if connected by wifi

I have never used DTIM as a flow method as my wifi doesn’t have interoperability issues with my clients like iPhone or iPad, so can’t confirm it works - but if I had your wifi router that area appears closest to the one likely causing the issues you are experiencing.

I think the ‘Delay finding rooms’ is not a network problem, the Naim iOS App is the problem.
I start my Naim Nova from standby to ‘ON’ daily many times direct from my Roon interface: every time the Nova starts immediately without any problem.
The webpage (IP adress) from the Naim is also direct available in my browser.

Not really (in my opinion) - different processes at play - see my above post. Naim iOS App works perfectly here with multiple Naim devices- including those in standby … also worked for a significant number in the Beta trial as well, however I can’t remember seeing anyone using a TP-Link TL-WR940N or similar router on the Beta reporting issues.
I suspect its a TP-Link / Apple iOS interoperability issue, at least we know certain platforms where no network/OS issues are caused for the Naim App.
Be useful to get confirmation whether increasing the DTIM timing helps the iOS network stack with the TP-Link, as per the Apple (anecdotal) advice and can then be shared with other Forum members with these specific or similar wifi routers when using iOS platforms.

No Simon not only play,
Start the Naim Nova from standby to On
Then there is a new Naim iOS app- beta.
Who knows?

That is what I meant - different processes involved with what you mentioned.
Areas susceptible look to be discovery, startup, wake from standby etc where iOS stack could be losing data from the TP-Link.

But yes there are fairly frequent iOS upgrades from Apple, and so Apple might have addressed the issue with the very latest version, but in the mean time if this was happening and I couldn’t disable wifi snooping on my wifi, I would increase the DTIM count on the advanced settings of my wifi as per Apple’s recommendation… and even try max value.

For the technically literate, here is a link of the Apple issue with some wifi access points. An alternate is to try a different wifi access point of course… :grin:

Now if it is the DTIM issue, Naim might be able to rejig the app or device firmware to try mitigate the bug, but that could cause issues for other users or increased battery consumption etc on the iPad /iphone.

Sorry to jump back a bit but where I am coming from is that the utility of the app is not as expected. My system router is a BT homehub which has not been configured in regards to snooping or anything like that - it is essentially out the box with admin passwords changed. The network is hard wired via two netgear GS105 switches to my Nova and I use an iPad (fully updated) with the Naim app (also latest version) to control the Nova. Like DavidE I can only find rooms on attempt 2. Everything else on the network works correctly be that PCs, Sky boxes, laptops, printers, scanners, NAS devices x 2, smart TV, iPads (general use via wifi) and phones (via wifi).
Are we just edge cases or is this something that many of the community just live with?

Do we really need to be network engineers to get the app working at controlling £multi-k hifi? Surely it should be designed to be robust in typical/normal domestic environments. I like music, so have hifi that happens to need a home network, not the other way round!

5 Likes

If you are using a very recent BT home hub and those basic switches, wired Ethernet and nothing else, and still have issues, then it looks like iOS or Naim.

No you are right… but there has been explosion of people using commercial switches because they can ‘sound better’… so that means your network in some cases ceases to be a typical domestic network, but takes on the requirements and considerations of a commercial one… (IGMP snooping, querier etc )

There is also the issue of iOS and Wi-fi router interoperability is some cases, which when it happens is nothing to do with Naim. Interoperability isn’t all about all or nothing…

1 Like

SiS - many thanks. New bt hub so based on your thoughts potentially either naim or iOS. Just tried accessing via naim app on phone which is android - worked first time. So android flavour of app works for me but iOS variant has 2 attempt issue.

It’s never ever worked on first attempt with my Apple WiFi. iOS app updates etc etc, you Naim it, it’s never worked as it should. Snooping switched on or off!
Shame. I live in hope that one day the software engineers will figure it out…

1 Like

Thanks for looking into it. I have tried changing the DTIM setting from 1 to 3, rebooted the router and the Naim box, re-tested several times but no difference I’m afraid. Always fails to find the device on the first attempt, always succeeds on the second attempt.

As said above that is at the advanced networking level - most customers can’t be expected to change advanced router settings, especially if undocumented. The documentation only talks about basic TCP/IP connectivity, wired or wireless and DHCP, which I am fine with, and which is working for all my other devices and apps.

For what it’s worth (have posted this elsewhere), I have exactly the same issue with my ND555.

And I had exactly the same issue in my previous home with a HDX, the nServe app and a completely different set of home networking equipment (wiring, switches, router, WiFi base stations etc).

Yet Roon finds my ND555 virtually immediately.

Every time.

To me, this suggests a fundamental design / architecture issue with Naim software and / or hardware. It simply shouldn’t be so difficult for the end user.

4 Likes

@billyrubin
yep same here. Doesn’t really bother me that much as I just tap “retry” and it finds the player. It’s almost like a timeout setting gets called too quickly.