Delay Finding Rooms in Naim App

I’ve had three tablets with this issue. Varying android versions. Two are Asus brand and one a generic. Different wifi access points tried. Different everything! If someone can suggest another thing to try then I’m all ears. Since the tablet I use is is a cheap-n-cheerful just for this job then having it on all the times isn’t a problem. If/when it dies in few years then it’s not an issue.

Ahh, I missed these were android devices… it appears there are quite well documented deficiencies in some Android implementations not supporting well IGMP join requests, thereby your correctly functioning home network supporting IGMP snooping doesn’t know to send discovery heart beat data to your Android device or your Android device blocks the data. Ironically a poor efficiency basic home network not supporting IGMP snooping will probably be fine with these deficient Android devices.

It would appear to fix it’s trial and error with different Android devices or go iOS… or do you as you have done just keep everything nailed up…

Interesting because I asked the question, it might have been in another thread, if it was time to throw the towel in and get an ipad for the naim app but I was told there was no point because it still has the same issues.

On a network that works properly, the IOS app doesn’t have any significant delay in finding rooms. Typically, I start to get twitchy if it takes more than two or three secs and I expect most of the streamers to be there instantly. The Core, if it’s not there already, usually takes a couple of seconds longer than everything else. But it’s all quick.
Best
David

Not sure I completely buy that statement. I built my own home network in a very standard way. My Nova and Muso Qb both used to appear instantly, no problems during streaming, multi-rooming etc. Now my Nova takes a few seconds to appear, sometimes requiring a prompt by dragging down the screen for a refresh. Also experiencing some strange behaviours from the screen. What changed? I updated to the latest firmware on the Nova. The Musoqb remains on an earlier version and is always there as soon as I open the app.

2 Likes

Well to be fair, I don’t have a new platform streamer so I can’t comment on how long they take to appear…

Best
David

No that I have seen, iOS has no issue with multicast groups… works perfectly.

Well the original issue about which I started this thread was, and remains an issue, on iOS, so no it does not “work perfectly” for some of us.

2 Likes

I have a Superuniti 2, plus 2 x QB’s and a QB2 on my network.
All appear pretty well instantly except for the QB2 which is always last to appear, taking a few seconds.
Similarly, if I try to multiroom from the SU to the QB2, it takes two attempts to connect, unless I turn on the QB2 first, then attempt multiroom from the SU, then the QB2 joins multiroom instantly.
Multiroom to both the original QB’s happens pretty well instantly.
iPad and iPhone user here, no Android devices.

I’m still on the old software version.
Finding the 272 quicker was not on the list of things the latest software version listed…

Latest version software on ND5SX2, certified cat 6A Ethernet cable and using latest software on an iPhone 8+.

Every time I have to search twice for the streamer on the app. This is with all other devices off so there’s nothing to distract the broadband.

The network works absolutely perfectly with everything else, why should there be a problem with it just for the naim app?

I don’t think it’s the app. As I said in post 85, I reckon it’s the firmware, and all we can do is hope that Naim fix it in the next firmware. Along with screen freezes.

1 Like

I never had any problems with the Bubble UPnP control point discovering my server and renderers: the renderers are two Chromecast audio devices, an Allo DigiOne Signature, a Sony TV and an Oppo 203. I have 3 to 4 devices running Minimserver and 5 to 6 renderers in my LAN. When I tap Bubble UPnP, they are all there without any delay. I only use wireless connection apart from one RPi that is wired to the router. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Correct… the area which appears problematic with some consumer devices, especially Wi-fi is the correct handling of multicast group messages … these are for example used by bonjour and UPnP discovery services… incorrect operation here from network devices can prevent some discovery messages getting through to clients.
Of course there is the area of timeliness in response, if it’s a case the device appears after a few seconds then that suggests software / firmware related. If no response appears then that suggests network appliances and/or faulty software/firmware.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.