Desert Island Disc

Well that certainly changes things :rofl:

Well no one album would keep me sane so i will go out with a bang with the “untouchable” by Alvin Stardust featuring “my Coo Ca Choo. Probably be a frisbee after the first play.:joy:

6 Likes

I think the learning to play a musical instrument is a damn good idea - I always love the sound of the cello.

I have a native american flute and one day walking out on the local hills I saw a Fox. I started playing the flute - it stopped, turned round, sat down and listened for what seemed like ages.
magical moment

5 Likes

For me, it would have to be either Thin Lizzy L&D, on the basis the sound would carry to a rescuing party :grinning:, or The Who, Who’s Next…a close call, as Daltrey’s vocal and Moon’s skin bashings would sure carry for ‘miles and miles and miles…’

9 Likes

On the basis that the best way to cope with being alone on a desert island is to go mad, I would choose this

4 Likes

With Neil Young

10 Likes

Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach.

Easily my favourite Dessert Island Disc.

(I’ll be sure to close the door on my way out). :wink:

12 Likes

Got to be the Pat Metheny Group. Moments of depression and loneliness are impossible on a dessert island with this joyous disc.

pat-metheny-group

6 Likes

I love both these discs. Coltrane has the edge I think.

I started to learn the saxophone in between marriages in the 80s, the neighbours paid me to stop. :grin:

4 Likes

Couldn’t make my mind up between Can Tago Mago, Faust So Far but eventually chose Amon Düül II Tanz der Lemminge

8 Likes

IMG_3020

5 Likes

And we have a winner! :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

Errrr, where do I get that from? :thinking:

Discogs and others

4 Likes

Just the one? Richard Thompson 1000 Years of Popular Music? The big Sandy Denny boxed set? Béla Bartók, The Six String Quartets recorded by The Takács Quartet, but sentiment won out: Fairport Convention, Liege and Lief produced by Joe Boyd.

4 Likes

I’ve thought of another piece of music, though I’m not sure that it has yet been recorded in its entirety as an album, though maybe possible if has been recorded at ultra high speed. It would have to be on a solid state drive as otherwise the sheer weight of CDs, let alone LPs, needed to record this one album may risk sinking the boat long before it reached a desert island!*

Even with this playing non stop all day every day there would be no chance of boredom, just waiting on tenterhooks for the next note change… It might be so engrossing tgat I wouldn’t want rescue but would be seeking potions and magical spells to keep me alive long enough to hear all of the 639 years it takes to play!!! Otherwise find a Girl Friday to ensure offspring to carry on hearing.(Latter might have other benefits, too…)

*A quick estimate assuming 74 minutes per CD suggests it would fill 4,541,736 CDs, weighing around 100 tonnes without cases. (Careful storage needed to keep in order!) LPs without sleeves (unwise) would weigh at least 800 tonnes! Even as an ‘electronic’ compressed .flac file it may require of the order of 2000TB storage space, or seventy 30TB drives, but at least that would be transportable.

5 Likes

This would keep me entertained.

4 Likes

That would be Graham 55 choice

Not quite that long, but John Cage’s buddy, Morton Feldman, has a single movement string quartet that runs 5-6 hours. I think it would fit on a Blu-Ray disc.

BTW - I’ve only listened to bits of this, but there are a number of Feldman pieces I really like. Most run over an hour.

2 Likes