Din connections

Should a naim lavender and/or hi line din-din audio interconnect be connected without locking (lavender) and about 1mm from pushed fully home for best results?

Over 25 years ago when I first got Naim equipment I don’t recall any advice regarding this and I assumed they should be tightened up, it would seem that is now not the perceived wisdom, possibly through user trial and error, though if it’s an official Naim recommendation it would be good to know.

Yes.

Yes

Any reason for it? Is it due to microphony?

I wouldn’t do this with a power-carrying lead, though. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Some years back It was discovered by some of the bods at Naim that not doing up the locking collar in the interconnect resulted in a slightly more relaxed and freer sound that was preferred. It was felt that this was down to microphonic effects that were ameliorated when the collar undone or, better, removed. Even better was when the metal outer plug was removed, but this was not very practical and also prone to terrible problems getting the little pins connected properly. This began the first prototypes for the air plug, which resulted in the Hi-line.

As previously mentioned, be very careful with SNAICs as accidental disconnection can lead to calamitous results. Personally I do up my SNAIC collars to ensure no nasty accidents.

5 Likes

I have my SNAICs lightly locked, i.e. nipped and just undone enough to rattle.

All my DIN connectors (SNAIC + DIN-XLR) are locked, as are the Burndies (no choice there, right?). For sources I have a HiLine (NDX2) and RCA (phonostage).

I have two Rotties, including a playful 2-yr. old. Anything can happen so I don’t take chances with the locking DINs, especially those that carry power.

Burndies should always be fully done up.

1 Like

Thanks gents
Always get great help/info/knowledge from this forum. :+1:

One last question, my hi line dangles and rests on things which cannot be avoided due to its length.

Would coiling it into one loose coil and held by a Velcro strap hanging freely be better than touching cables/floor?

1 Like

It’ll be a case of the lesser of two evils, so try it and choose whichever sounds best to you.

1 Like

I use large bubble wraps…a few inches long and an inch or do thick to keep cables from touching, not pretty, but nobody looks over the back anyway.

1 Like

Kitchen scourers do a good separating job if they can be kept out of sight.

Clean up the sound no end.

G

2 Likes

Kitchen scourer

Clean up the sound …Lol…

2 Likes

That’s a wishy washy answer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.