Direct stacking

I currently do not have a dedicated system rack (a la Fraim) and don’t intend to buy one due to space. I have a 122x/150x pre-power that are on a teak sideboard (pretty solid); the 122x is directly on top of the 150x which is directly on top of the sideboard. All other components (Sonos Connect and DAC) are inside the sideboard.

Is this okay or should I invest in some kind of budget friendly isolation media below and/or between the boxes?

Thanks.

That’s the worst thing you can do for sound quality. Can you put them side by side? If not you should work out a way to get some vertical separation. Or sell them both and get a Nait XS2 or 3.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a double blind test showing otherwise, so despite what others might say I don’t think it will make any difference whatsoever.

Sources like turntables are different of course.

1 Like

You don’t think it will make a difference, but have you actually tried it? You don’t need a double blind test - the effect is obvious using those two things on the side of your head.

1 Like

That stacking configuration is not a good idea; If I couldn’t do it side by side, I would consider isolating both components, both from the teak sideboard and to each other. The appropriate Isoacoustics Orea are a magnificent solution, proven and tested, cheap and easy (look for the threads of the Gaia and the Orea in the forum); I personally have all the components isolated in the configurations of the 3 main HIFI systems, and, beyond the distant appraisals, I invite anyone who wants to hear how much they can contribute.

I will try side by side. However, I do recall reading somewhere that the naim rubber feet allow for this kind of stacking, i.e. just a pre-power not a full system. This is why I didn’t isolate when I bought them a couple of years ago.

Those Isoacoustics a still pretty pricy; at £45 a pop that’s £360 (x8). I will check out those threads to see if there are cheaper alternatives. Either way, do you put them under the existing rubber feet or directly on the box?

Thanks

Side by side will be fine. You don’t need fancy feet. Just try it and see.

4 Likes

FWIW I put my pre with an empty shelf between the pre and the streamer and got a worthwhile improvement. I have my gear on Isoblue hifi rack.

So I’d agree with others that it probably is a bad idea to stack components on top of each other. Haven’t tried though so this is a guess from my side.

Yes, they cost some money, of course, more depending on how many you need, but not too much compared to any black box or even any quality cable; and they really start to get cheap when you start to appreciate what they do. However, for them to work well it is crucial to adjust the weights as best as possible, without falling short and without going through. So if you decide for them, look carefully at the components weights and at the right models, because you probably don’t need 8 but 6 , 3 in each component; bearing in mind, however, that those of the lower component must bear the weight of both boxes, while those of the upper component only the weight of the upper box.

They are designed to work directly on the boxes, and that’s how they work best. Anyway, in one of the systems I have them under its aluminum feet, and they also work exceptionally; however, in that system there is no stacking, only vibration problems in the furniture on which the equipment rests, due to the subwoofer that is housed underneath.

My thinking is that it’s not about vibration control but about electrical or magnetical interference from the power supplies in the boxes. Naim stresses this and upgrades are often about moving the interfering power supply out of the way of sensitive electronics in for instance the preamp

1 Like

Just like to chip in what the others are saying, side by side is infinitely preferable . I really cringe when I see those systems on YouTube where there are superb components thoughtlessly stacked.

If it is a solid piece of furniture- great, you could add isolation platforms

Yes, the two things are different. One is about separating the sensitive preamp bits from the electrically noisy transformer in the power amp. The other is about isolating the equipment from vibration, which is where the glass and balls, or isolating feet, come in. Like you, I find it odd that people buy this expensive equipment and just sling it together any old how. They are not getting anything like the best from what they have. Then again, not caring about it is probably a good thing in many ways.

3 Likes

Morning, I’ve got my ND5XS2 atop my XS3, should these be separated then?

Yes.

3 Likes

If Naim would be so critical about vibrations as they claim maybe they could stop make chassis sound zzzziiiiiinnngggg when playing music. Those vibrations will for sure move inside the product.

It’s odd but when you damp the case with something like a HRS damping plate the sound becomes less involving, FKY.

Well, some might like added reverberation and added noise. I’m not one of them. It’s not also a controlled noise since some Naim chassis sound a lot and some nothing. Faulty design.

Of course it is. I’m sure you know best. Naim are useless.

7 Likes

Side by Side is ideal if you ain’t got a barrel of money.

I would not stack one box on top of another.

1 Like

It’s not that difficult making that assumption is it? If it would be a feature all boxes would ring identically. If not it is a design flaw. If a feature naim alone would apply reverberation to their boxes to increase UX. Do you really believe in that?