Do Naim’s adverts resonate today?

The modern “Music Store” above certainly paid homage to the ‘80’s clean and witty style, but then totally spoiled the effect by including all the text.

But I suppose that, these days, one has to spell out the “bleedin’ obvious” to the punters…

1 Like

I almost have missed this.
Thanks for this info!

1 Like

@charlie.henderson pictures in post 21 show an ad (in the second one) with the caption ‘It’s a Peach’ with a naim CDS (or CDi). This was a deliberate ‘humourus’ reply to the Linn Lemon advert!

3 Likes

Geoff just to say that it’s very interesting having your special insight in this thread. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
Best
David

3 Likes

Thank you David. Perhaps anyone who has read these posts might have noticed that whenever I write ‘naim’ it is spelt all in lowercase and only occasionally (auto corrected) with a capital ‘N’.
This of course isn’t meant to be disrespectful to the company or laziness on my part, but because of the information included above! And we both are obsessed with attention to details!

1 Like

And another couple from CH … tongue in cheek

5 Likes

Yet another

3 Likes

Had to look carefully to confirm it’s a Naim

2 Likes

Two more from CH

I found a couple of scans on my computer of two of the ads that were in the pictures @charlie.henderson posted. They were created by an ad agency for naim, but I can’t recall who.

I understand the idea was to get the picture to grab your attention (by looking different to all the other ads in the hi-fi press) and then you would read the copy/see the equipment picture after. I really disliked how they boxed the logo on a white background, and that the products were so small in the image. However, as ads they did their job - which I guess was the point!

The dog picture was a ‘stock image’ that they had paid for the copyright usage, but at some point at a later date it appeared in another ad by another company!

2 Likes

Not sure I get the dog bit - seems to me it invokes a feeling of a hi-fi system barking at you! I’ve heard plenty of those,

I much prefer a picture with intrigue and intimation, the less copy the better. After all, I buy a mag to read the reviews/other bits, not to have to plough through the adverts.

Kind of a ‘Hallowed be thy naim’ way of thinking (Dave Allen style!) - my copyright unless already used:grinning:

2 Likes

Woofer?

1 Like

No tweeter…it must have eaten it!

I’m sure it says somewhere ‘no animals were harmed in the making of this advert’ - the odd human maybe!

2 Likes

I’m just glad I didn’t have to mail Debs a “Get Out Of Jail Free” card - living life on the edge on the forum!

Continuing the theme of old, sexist adverts

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Elverdiblanco,…It’s really quite incredible,.that we saw such ads as “normal” at that time.

Now in 2019,.we’d probably almost got into jail for such an advertisement.

/Peder🙂

Quite liked the pricing approach in the add “from 22,000 to 1,500”!

:small_blue_diamond:StephenPacker,…:+1:t2::grin: There were other prices at that time,…Glorious memories.

/Peder🙂

Gosh! That ad is a stark reminder of how far we’ve progressed in the past few decades. Memories fade so quickly.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:From Svein,…He has much older ads etc,.and also many products and history when it comes to Naim.
A real source of knowledge from Norway.

/Peder🙂

3 Likes