Do you own your last Speakers

Yes a fellow in Australia named Graz, bought the assets and rights to the designs, after Apogee was sold to Analog and Digital Systems of Wilmington Mass about 1996, and they went bankrupt about 6 months later. Graz has updated the design with Neo Magnets with much higher flux density, allowing the designs to be made to be driven with a tube amp–something that was not possible in the 80’s when the original Apogees were designed and manufactured (1981-1996).

Graz also manufactures replacement ribbons and has set up service centers at several locations around the globe to refurb. One is in Virginia, USA, Music Technology, whom I am working with on my crossover refurb, and a company in Nevada–sorry don’t recall the name. I think there are other places, but I don’t recall either. He has a web page to find out more.

1 Like

When I started this topic I hoped to get a few responses. It has been better than I expected. I own Focal Maestro Uptopia’s and they will not be my last speakers. I’m either going with PMC BB5 SE or ATC SCM150, or something I’ve never heard who knows. Maybe I’ll just add a six pack of rel s/812’s and keep what I have. I really love speakers. Not crazy about talking about old models that are impossible to acquire, but happy for those of you that have a pair you are proud of owning.

1 Like

Hello Peder
Nice to hear from you and the kind words about Apogee. I have no experience with Nelson Pass amplifiers. I just know they are very good.

I know that the Scintillas at one ohm put most amps to a real test. Before Marketing the One Ohm, we surveyed about a dozen amplifier manufacturers, and they all sent us amps for eval. None of them blew up, but most sounded better into 1 ohm than 4 ohms. One reason was that there was a lot more power available in most amps at the lower impedance. In addition, while Krell was pure Class A at the time and sounded the best, most amps were class AB, meaning that they were Class A up to some power level and then crossed over to Class B. The one ohm tap gave more power into Class A than did 4 ohms provided the power supply was up to the task. These speakers also required a high current amplifier. I have read that some amps did give up the ghost into 1 ohm. That is why I use the Krell KSA 80B–its 80 watts of pure class A into 8 ohms, but 640 watts pure class A into 1 ohm. It was considered the synergistic combination. I had mine recapped a little over a year ago by the factory.

Nelson might be able to give you a better idea which of his amps would work well into the one ohm. Of course, there are lots of 4 ohm Apogees out there running various amps.

2 Likes

Yes and No.

‘Yes’ for the office cos, same as @marksnaim, I can’t bear the thought of moving the Briks for any reason other than a failure of some kind.

‘No’ everywhere else although I will also have a pair of Kans somewhere in the house :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The answer is yes, probably.

No major changes until we know the real cost of the present crisis - you will have another dollop of that excellent coronavirus supertax, won’t you, sir?

Although I must say I’m tempted to (at least) listen to the latest iteration of the PMC 23. I don’t suppose anyone has had a chance of listening to them (25.23i)?

1 Like

Yes, with Kudos Titan 808s I reckon they’re good enough for any amplifier I could ever afford, e.g. I’ve heard they do well with Statements…

Neil

4 Likes

Anonymoot-
The only thing this survey shows is never say never. Dynaudio has come out with a “new” special 40. Comes in 2 new colors. Second - hand pieces, or demos maybe available at lower prices (just out of reach rather than unobtainable). Just one more conundrum :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s true. Todays unobtainable does have a habit of become tomorrows tantalizingly just out of reach.

Possibly but I think I will want to try a pair of S400s one day.

I love my Shahinian Diapasons - I’d almost given up hope of finding what I was hankering for when I found them. Very happy bunny

1 Like

Diapasons certainly make a strong pitch for ‘good as it gets’, especially on Classical Music. One day. Maybe. I don’t feel too short changed by my Obelisks though, especially in my current listening room where I’m not sure I could make Diapasons work. Enjoy forever Michael!

1 Like

My dealer sells those. When travel opens up, I hope to spend some time in his showroom and get to listen to YG’s.

1 Like

We love our Magico A3’s. Can see owning them forever. If lightning strikes and I come into cash, I’d listen to something up their range, such as the 6 times more expensive M2’s.

Obs are also fantastic! :wink:

I like my speakers sealed and not to large. My SBL:s was after a long search finally replaced by Audio Note AN-K with lots of silver parts inside. Stands on Townshend Podiums.

1 Like

Quite possibly. I believe I would have to spend a lot more to better these and with the size and space restrictions I have (might be different if/when we move house).

Guru Juniors btw.

2 Likes

Yes. For my main system and the media room - both Totems, Forest Signatures and Hawks respectively. I like the natural presentation and holographic soundstage. Also fit very nicely with the aesthetics and style of our house.

The other advantage is that having your last speakers limits the upgrade path!

1 Like

Not if you are in the source first camp as I am!

Many a time I have heard relatively modest speakers in an otherwise pretty much maxed out system and the results have been spectacular.

4 Likes

How very dare you… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I meant :sunglasses: